Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by netkas View Post
    tried 2.6.32-rc7.

All the same, even worse, with rc5 if I run xinit glxgears -- /usr/bin/Xorg -ac -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf , with previously loaded radeon (modeset=1) - it always was woeking.

Now with rc7, half of time I'm getting system freeze with lower half of screen showing some pic with colored snow.
    I made KMS work with the following config:

* kernel 2.6.32-rc7 from Kernel PPA
    * everything from xorg-edgers PPA
    * in /etc/modules added "radeon modeset=1"
    * removed "splash" from kernel command-line

Tested:
    * resume / suspend works fine
    * 3D graphics (glxgears, supertux2) work fine
    * XVideo
    * full-effects

Added bonus: xrandr reports a maximum virtual size of 8192x8192 (is this a side-effect or on purpose?)

Problem: when glxgears + compiz is running, systems does not suspend, VT switch gives blank screen. If I (blindly) type "killall glxgears" system continues fine. It seems as if there is a fairness problem and glxgears gets the whole GPU for itself.
    Last edited by cklein; 14 November 2009, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cklein View Post
      I made KMS work with the following config:

* kernel 2.6.32-rc7 from Kernel PPA
      * everything from xorg-edgers PPA
      * in /etc/modules added "radeon modeset=1"
      * removed "splash" from kernel command-line
      Thanks by moving radeon.modeset from grub to /etc/modules I also got KMS working, for the rest I'm also using kernel 2.6.32-rc7 and xorg-edgers ppa.

First impressions of kms:

Scrolling web pages in Firefox seems slower, it also sometimes gives me colored 'snow' and screen blanking.

A quick test with Half-Life 2 shows an increase in frame rate up to 20fps in certain areas, although there are some rendering issues introduced.

Comment

reinstalled libdrm from ppa, now it works, looks like mine wasnt good. also recompiled video-ati + edited /etc/modules

On ubuntu need to remove splash boot option.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Thanks by moving radeon.modeset from grub to /etc/modules I also got KMS working, for the rest I'm also using kernel 2.6.32-rc7 and xorg-edgers ppa.

First impressions of kms:

Scrolling web pages in Firefox seems slower, it also sometimes gives me colored 'snow' and screen blanking.

A quick test with Half-Life 2 shows an increase in frame rate up to 20fps in certain areas, although there are some rendering issues introduced.
          Scrolling is not only slow in Firefox, but also in Okular. IIRC, developers know about this.

Comment

I also have performance issues with the xorg-edgers PPA.
            LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo shows:
            Code:
            libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so failed (/usr/lib/dri/r600_dri.so: undefined symbol: radeon_bo_is_referenced_by_cs)
            It looks like it's fixed by this commit that was released a couple of hours ago in libdrm: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm...d4f863182007e3

Comment

Questions regarding KMS for 780g integrated (HD3200) (RS780)

1. If using kernel 2.6.32-rc(7 or 8) do we still need to pull in Airlied's drm-next?
              --- http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo says need it for 2.6.31
              1.a. If yes, I've untarred kernel but not sure how to convert the kernel code to a git or where to place the git drm-next code. Advise?
              --- To work with compiled kernel, it must be part of kernel tree, right?
              --- I haven't been using initrd with customs but have used with a few filesystems. If people are putting firmware in initrd, how?

2. Help with kernel configuration options for the firmware. Normally and for security reasons I use the following:
              -- Yes, I have the staging - kms for radeon enabled.
              --- I couldn't deselect the support for framebuffer general option but I have deselected all framebuffer options under it. Do we need any of these such as edid?

-----------------------------------------------------
              This didn't work. Long delay at boot and with dmesg error about firmware

From kernel configuration: make menuconfig
              Code:
              Device Drivers->
              Generic Driver Options ->
               (/sbin/hotplug) path to uevent helper 
               [ ] Create a kernel maintained /dev tmpfs (EXPERIMENTAL)
               [*] Select only drivers that don't need compile-time external firmware
              [*] Prevent firmware from being built
               -*- Userspace firmware loading support
               [ ]   Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary 
               ()    External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary

I'v had some partial success with the following

From kernel configuration: make menuconfig
              Code:
              Device Drivers->
              Generic Driver Options ->
               (/sbin/hotplug) path to uevent helper 
               [ ] Create a kernel maintained /dev tmpfs (EXPERIMENTAL)
               [ ] Select only drivers that don't need compile-time external firmware
               [ ] Prevent firmware from being built
               -*- Userspace firmware loading support
              [*]   Include in-kernel firmware blobs in kernel binary 
               ()    External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary
              Which of the firmware options do we need to change and what should they be?

What are other using that have had success with KMS?
              Last edited by forum1793; 22 November 2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I got KMS working.

Recompile libdrm with --enable-radeon-experimental-api

Evidently Airlied's drm-next code is part of 2.6.32 and updating gits not needed?

But would still like clarity on questions regarding kernel configuration settings for firmware.

Xorg.0.log now shows
                (II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled.
                (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2] Setup complete

The DRI2 part seems new. Good.

Tried UrbanWarfare and the 3d part seems to work as good as 3D did before with agd5f's git code drm modules.

Good job to devs.

Comment

Working...
                X