Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

Hi,
    I was just wondering a couple of things!

When will I be able to play Doom III on the opensource ATi driver? The 9.3 Catalyst is horrible in Hardy, and the only thing stopping me from installing Linux fulltime is the lack of a decent 3D driver. Don't get me wrong, the opensource driver beats the 9.3 Catalyst in everyway except 3D acceleration!

The second thing is pretty simple I hope, could someone please point me to a site/page that explains the whole Linux graphics thing as libdrm, KMS and all that confuses me!

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mortified_mort; 09 October 2009, 02:04 PM.

Originally posted by mortified_mort View Post
    Hi,

When will I be able to play Doom III on the opensource ATi driver? The 9.3 Catalyst is horrible in Hardy, and the only thing stopping me from installing Linux fulltime is the lack of a decent 3D driver. Don't get me wrong, the opensource driver beats the 9.3 Catalyst in everyway except 3D acceleration!

The second thing is pretty simple I hope, could someone please point me to a site/page that explains the whole Linux graphics thing as libdrm, KMS and all that confuses me!

Thanks in advance!
    Eventually it will be able to... Maybe late next year (I'm guessing).

Comment

Hi,

Thanks in advance!
      Depends on if you're using r600 or not. The older r300-r500 gpus will probably be able to run Doom 3 first, and r600 may be a couple of months after that. But like the above poster said, it's still a ways off.

Comment

I could play Doom3 with an RV280 and radeon driver but the framerate was low (10-15 fps) or worse when the action got heavy. I plugged in the RV350 (and 2.6.31) which was playable (3 years ago) on fglrx but I no longer have dri (or drm) so no point in trying. Will try again when new hard disk arrives.

Comment

If you have an R300-R500, please just go ahead and try it with the latest open source drivers. I don't remember off the top of my head whether there are any Doom 3 related bugs, but if there are, just tell us about them, because I think it should work, albeit probably at less-than-stellar performance.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
            If you have an R300-R500, please just go ahead and try it with the latest open source drivers. I don't remember off the top of my head whether there are any Doom 3 related bugs, but if there are, just tell us about them, because I think it should work, albeit probably at less-than-stellar performance.
            I just get white where the textures should be on the title screen, if I try to go any further the PC locks up. I tested using Kubuntu Karmic with all the updates.

Comment

Does Doom3 use S3TC or any of the other "will never be in Open Source drivers" patented features?

Comment

It might be S3TC, yes. Note that in principle you can get S3TC with an external library (Disclaimer: That support may be broken right now...)

Comment

I just get white where the textures should be on the title screen, if I try to go any further the PC locks up. I tested using Kubuntu Karmic with all the updates.
                  It has been posted on here in the past that doom3 works if you edit

~/.doom3/base/DoomConfig.cfg and make sure you have r_renderer set to "arb"

s3tc isn't generally a problem for OSS games with radeons. There is an external lib but I don't think you really need it to use the cards hw support for s3tc. More info -

Currently the r6xx drivers don't yet support s3tc so this just means you have to turn it off in the game. In the case of doom3 it's -

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "0"
                  seta image_useNormalCompression "0"
                  seta image_useCompression "0"

I just tested on a rv670 and these at least made the splash/menues display correctly (they were garbage without).

I did however hit a problem on loading a level, the game quit with -

doom.x86: radeon_texture.c:883: migrate_image_to_miptree: Assertion `srclvl->size == dstlvl->size' failed.

I don't know if this is a general, or r6xx specific problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
                    I filed a bug for a doom3 problem, which is not yet fixed:

Comment

Working...
                    X