Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.1.31 Continues With Direct3D 10 Work

Phoronix: Wine 1.1.31 Continues With Direct3D 10 Work

Wine 1.1.30 was released two weeks ago with Direct3D 10 improvements, but Wine 1.1.31 is now out today and it too contains more Direct3D 10 work. Beyond enhancing the Direct3D 10.x support in Wine, which is critical for supporting some newer games, this release also carries improved monthcal control, performance improvements for DIB sections, several sound driver fixes, the start of ActiveX support in JScript, 16-bit dlls split off to separate modules, support for attachments in MAPI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd prefer working DX9 rather than experimental DX10 :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I'd prefer working DX9 rather than experimental DX10 :P
      I agree to some degree, but consider it should be faster to implement DX10 features that already have a Dx9 routine.

It will great the day when dx is near 100% on wine.

Comment

Originally posted by 0e8h View Post
        It will great the day when dx is near 100% on wine.
        Why don't they write a Gallium state tracker instead? That way they will not need to translate all the calls to the equivalent OpenGL and they may also get additional help from other developers?

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Why don't they write a Gallium state tracker instead? That way they will not need to translate all the calls to the equivalent OpenGL and they may also get additional help from other developers?
          Because not everybody (in fact most people) don't use Gallium, at this point no graphics card drivers actually use it, and when this project was first started Gallium wasn't even a gleam in its father's eye.

Comment

These days the tasks of the graphics API become less and less important. You could say that games and programs are all doing their own rendering now thanks to shaders. The graphics API is roughly only responsible for initializing 3D and moving data from and to the GPU. All the real work is done using shaders on the GPU.

Sure D3D shaders need to be translated to GLSL and the same for D3D calls and it takes time to write all this but it doesn't require much emulation since the trend is to let the GPU do all the work.

The D3D10 work is part of cleaning up the rest of WineD3D, so it will also greatly improve D3D9 support and performance.

Comment

Was there any success in running any particural D3D10 game with wine?

Comment

I would love to read an article about Wine. About its future, state of 1.2, and how wine developers cooperate with Xorg, what is their opinion on Gallium and state of open source drivers, also fglrx vs nvidia, windows 7 and directX 11 challenge, some more info about integration effort with Ubuntu, that i've heard before.

Comment

Working...
                X