Nouveau and RadeonHD quiet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau and RadeonHD quiet?

Nouveau and RadeonHD seem to have gone into hibernation.

The last TiNDC is from march, and we've seen no news about RadeonHD since July. It would be nice to see how these projects are progressing.

The best place to check for activity are mailing lists or git repositories (radeonhd / nouveau). I see recent commits in both of them, so I'd say neither is dead, just not communicating atm.

Comment

The radeonhd devs are getting ready for a 1.2.6 release, possibly as early as this Friday.
      Test signature

Comment

Thanks for the updates

Comment

I though that the radeonhd driver would have been merged into the ati driver...

What was the difference between them (appart a different team of devs) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
            I though that the radeonhd driver would have been merged into the ati driver...
            nobody ever said it would. It's technically not feasible. Both drivers share some code, fixes and additions are often included in both etc, but there are some differences that cannot just be "merged". It may sound weird to a non-programmer, but right now it's less work to maintain both drivers than it'd be to merge them.

Both drivers might die in a few years anyway, being replaced by a generic Gallium3D ddx driver.
            Last edited by rohcQaH; 09 October 2009, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              Both drivers might die in a few years anyway, being replaced by a generic Gallium3D ddx driver.
              We don't even need that. If we switch to KMS, then DDX will responsible for:
              1) Talking with KMS (radeon does it)
              2) EXA and Xv acceleration (both driver do, almost the same way)

So with KMS none of driver-specific code is used. Then we really will not need radeonhd and radeon could be drastically cut from whole mode setting. However we will probably see both radeon and radeonhd supported for a lot of time still, for older users, not using KMS yet (which should be stable and feature-full in 2.6.33).

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                It may sound weird to a non-programmer, but right now it's less work to maintain both drivers than it'd be to merge them.
                Yeah that's really weird

Furthermore I believe that ati/radeon has more features than radeonhd, so it add to my confusedness.

Comment

Originally posted by Xheyther View Post
                  Yeah that's really weird

Furthermore I believe that ati/radeon has more features than radeonhd, so it add to my confusedness.
                  You'd be correct, it does. In fact, if the RadeonFeature page is up-to-date, the only thing the radeonhd driver has that radeon does not is HDMI audio for a couple more cards.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmorph View Post
                    You'd be correct, it does. In fact, if the RadeonFeature page is up-to-date, the only thing the radeonhd driver has that radeon does not is HDMI audio for a couple more cards.
                    Plus better determining of minimum engine clock for LowPowerMode, better backlight support (RandR) and resolutions for panels (1600x900, 1600x1200, 1600x1200Scaled, 1920x1440, 1920x1080Scaled) and so on...
                    Radeon has support for PCI lanes reduction, TV-out and somehow DisplayPort.
                    That's probably all. If you decide to use KMS, all above doesn't matter, because you use use other code then (from kernel's drm).

Comment

Working...
                    X