Gaming with Open Source ATI drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure if all of the bits for KMS/DRI2/OpenGL on 6xx/7xx are in yet (although I thought they were) but for 5xx/rs6xx and below everything should be in place for sure.
    Afaik Mesa in Fedora Rawhide isn't compiled with r600 driver. You get OpenGL trivially by recompiling Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by Erikina View Post
      http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/nightly-composes/

Choose between "desktop" (gnome) and "kde". (or just grab the alpha on the site, and yum update)
      Thanks, by the way which version of the kernel does the latest version have (before I install)?

Comment

Originally posted by SolidSteel144 View Post
        Thanks, by the way which version of the kernel does the latest version have (before I install)?
        [root@fedz ~]# uname -a
        Linux fedz 2.6.31.1-56.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 29 16:16:22 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Afaik Mesa in Fedora Rawhide isn't compiled with r600 driver. You get OpenGL trivially by recompiling Mesa.
          Much easier:

su -
          <enter password>
          yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental

Comment

How does World of Goo play currently?

Comment

It seems to work fine on my HD3450.
              Test signature

Comment

Deagleson, how did the WoW go on the X1600 (R500)? You may want to update the table at:

Edit: changed R400 to R500. Mea culpa.
                Last edited by madbiologist; 19 October 2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

World of Goo in a 2D game so it should run flawless.
                  And i think nearly all of the ATI gpu's got good 2D accelleration with the open-source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Deagleson View Post
                    World of Goo in a 2D game so it should run flawless.
                    And i think nearly all of the ATI gpu's got good 2D accelleration with the open-source drivers.
                    No, the game may be in 2D, but it uses OpenGL. Running it without any 3D acceleration will make you very unhappy.

Comment

yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                      No, the game may be in 2D, but it uses OpenGL. Running it without any 3D acceleration will make you very unhappy.
                      True but any games using OpenGL should work fine if you yum install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental in the current Rawhide leading to Fedora 12. Of course, they are still "experimental" drivers. So report any problems in http://bugzilla.redhat.com.

Comment

Working...
                      X