Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Debian FreeBSD Kernel Option Ready For Squeeze

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I don't really see any opensource alternatives to Linux very promising due to Linux simply having pretty much the best driver support.
    Yet I just moved one of my servers to FreeBSD because of the non-broken drivers...</irony>

    GPL is it's biggest strength.
    I thought its biggest strength was the unwashed masses that flame anyone that dares criticize it, forcing a herd mentality and negating any other operating system as a valid alternative. Silly me.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    If you really want to see some problem in Linux, it's that it's GPL and therefore can't ever support ZFS.
    Fortunately for us it is GPL.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    I thought its biggest strength was the unwashed masses that flame anyone that dares criticize it, forcing a herd mentality and negating any other operating system as a valid alternative. Silly me.
    Truth almost always hurts and even if we like it or not, there is not any other valid alternative to Linux, for desktops at least. To support every secondary OS in the way we support the first one, is not some kind of chivalry but mainly an action that negates the first OS.
    Last edited by Apopas; 10-08-2009 at 06:22 PM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apopas View Post
    Truth almost always hurts and even if we like it or not, there is not any other valid alternative to Linux, for desktops at least. To support every secondary OS in the way we support the first one, is not some kind of chivalry but mainly an action that negates the first OS.
    If you had said workstation I would agree with you, as a general desktop not so much. Microsoft and Apple still have solid desktop offerings ;-p

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    I thought its biggest strength was the unwashed masses that flame anyone that dares criticize it, forcing a herd mentality and negating any other operating system as a valid alternative. Silly me.
    I thought it's *BSD domain

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    If you had said workstation I would agree with you, as a general desktop not so much. Microsoft and Apple still have solid desktop offerings ;-p
    I mean from the OSS world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •