ETA on Evergreen support from Radeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETA on Evergreen support from Radeon?

Just wondering, I'm considering buying one soon to replace my R700 (want to get rid of Crossfire without losing performance in Windows) and would like to avoid fglrx if possible.

Hopefully shouldn't take too long once I get the hardware. Modesetting should be pretty quick. Accel may take a bit longer.

Comment

Is that days, weeks, months? Accel isn't essential for my Linux install but I'd obviously need modesetting.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Hopefully shouldn't take too long once I get the hardware. Modesetting should be pretty quick. Accel may take a bit longer.
        Any news?

Diego

Comment

VGA modesetting is working, but digital outputs aren't working yet. Don't know if it's worth pushing the current code, thoughts ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            VGA modesetting is working, but digital outputs aren't working yet. Don't know if it's worth pushing the current code, thoughts ?
            That's a tough one. VGA's better than nothing, but how many people who use digital-only will just assume that it's broken? Mind you, right now it doesn't work at all.... I say push it. Most people would probably rather *temporarily* having to use an analog cable than have it not work at all.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

I was planning to buy a more powerful card once the OSS driver support improves for the r7xx generation, and now I'm considering going directly to r8xx. I'm hoping that the porting will be relatively straight-forward.

Comment

Pushing doesn't hurt, so push it!

Comment

it would have been cool if 57xx modesetting had been commited two days ago - just barely beating fglrx

Actually, the amount of people buying a top-notch GPU and connecting it to an old VGA monitor should be low. I don't think the additional work for cleanup and commit is justified yet. Do keep us informed though!

Comment

Depends how far away the digital output support is.

Any chance of (even a very rough) timeframe on that?

- New 5770 owner

Comment

Working...
                    X