Catalyst 9.9 + Left4Dead (Steam) using WINE Results in Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 9.9 + Left4Dead (Steam) using WINE Results in Flickering

Hello there fellow ATI'rs. My apologies for posting on this forum, as I know this isn't a WINE support forum, but think that it's relevant to the ATI drivers themselves, so I figured this was the best choice.

The Goal:
    * Getting Left4Dead to work in WINE

The Problem:
    * When I get "in game" there is significant flickering (many flickers per second). -- NOTE that the menus work fine, as does the loading screen, it's not until the in-game portion is loaded that the flickering begins.
    * (also I have no audio/sound in this game, but that's neither here nor there)

An important point to note is that I have the following games already working:
    * Warcraft III, Starcraft, Flatout2, Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance, etc. -- this tells me that there's something "missing" in the current ATI driver which is causing this Left4Dead issue?

Here's my config:
    * Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
    * ATI Radeon (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV770 [Radeon HD 4870])
    * Latest fglrx driver's from ATI (Catalyst 9.9)
    * Wine version 1.1.28 (also tried 1.1.27 & 1.1.30)

I've posted a similar message on the WineHQ site (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=14592 : Thread="October 1st 2009, 14:28"), and someone has made suggestions in fiddling with ATI driver settings. Could someone from ATI please confirm that this is the correct route to take?

Thanks!

Did you enable vsync (quality mode) in amdcccle?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Did you enable vsync (quality mode) in amdcccle?
      Thanks for the quick reply Kano.

I just tried turning Vsync from (OFF, unless app specifies) to ALWAYS ON. This didn't help.

To describe the flickering a little better, it's ALMOST like tearing, but just a "black screen" flicker. The entire screen goes black several times per second, interleaving with the actual game image.

Comment

Did you disable the film effect in L4D?

Comment

Working...
        X