Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No hardware video acceleration from ATI - ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    ATi DOES support full decoding acceleration on their cards -- on Windows. You didn't even mention Linux in your email.
    He sort of does. DXVA => Windows. VDPAU => Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by doghearthalo View Post
      I'm not very into this, but on my XP machine there is no ATI gpu-hardware acceleration of videofiles in any software (Xmbc, Vlc).
      You need to use a player that uses DXVA to use UVD on Windows.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ does, although I have found some H264 broadcast streams that don't work. I don't have a clue if it's the player, DXVA, the drivers or UVD on my card that's the problem. Most H264 seems to work - the ones that didn't were 1088x1920 so maybe that confused things.

As for OSS, UVD may be out of question, due to HDCP, but the devs have already said that there is enough info out for 3D engine GPU assisted decoding, just no one has written it yet.

In fact if there are UVD limitations to precise stream types, using the 3D engine may end up being a better and more flexible solution.
      Last edited by legume; 02 October 2009, 10:29 AM.

Comment

All of the documentation needed to accelerate video decode on AMD GPUs is available. Cooper is already working on accelerating video on r3xx-r5xx using gallium. r6xx+ will follow eventually. The devrel address is mostly oem/isv focused, so they don't really track the open source projects that closely.

Comment

All of the documentation needed to accelerate video decode on AMD GPUs is available.
          Am I assuming correctly that this refers to the shader-based acceleration, and not UVD?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            Am I assuming correctly that this refers to the shader-based acceleration, and not UVD?
            Yes shader-based. UVD is only available on rv6xx+.

Comment

And you can do vdpau/vaapi support via shaders for h264 and vc1? The intel x45 can only do mpeg2 currently via vaapi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                And you can do vdpau/vaapi support via shaders for h264 and vc1?
                Yes. That is correct. All of our pre-UVD chips used shaders for video decode.

Comment

Which formats will be supported?

Comment

In theory anything vdpau/xvmc over gallium supports.

Comment

It would be nice when this would happen soon, as i have some files which only decode fast enough with help of vdpau without losing a/v sync - even on 3 ghz dual core intel E8400.

Comment

Working...
                      X