Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No hardware video acceleration from ATI - ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Windows XP,you need to use a player that uses DXVA to use UVD on Windows.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ does, although I have found some H264 broadcast streams that don't work. I don't have a clue if it's the player, DXVA, the drivers or UVD on my card that's the problem. Most H264 seems to work - the ones that didn't were 1088x1920 so maybe that confused things.
    DXVA for H.264 and VC-1 videos *doesn't work* under WinXP.

I've tried all existing players for Windows (PowerDVD, MPC-HC, KMPlayer, WMP) with all video renderers (Overlay Mixer, VMR7, VMR9, EVR), but nothing works with the Radeon HD 2600

There's no HD video acceleration under WindowsXP for ATI cards.

I don't need BluRay acceleration, I only need video acceleration for normal H.264 videos (free / open-source 1080p HD clips / trailers / videos you can download from the net).

Take the Elephant's Dream 1080p video as an example:

That video is so demanding that it's impossible to play it on a machine with a (relatively powerful*) single core CPU.

* not an Atom or Sempron
    Last edited by tuxdriver; 07 October 2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

This has piqued my interest. I haven't used Windows in a a long time, but I think I'll dig out my old PATA disk and see how my RadeonHD 4550 fares with video.

I just hope that I don't have any issues with Windows Genuine (Dis)Advantage.

Comment

as i have some files which only decode fast enough with help of vdpau without losing a/v sync - even on 3 ghz dual core intel
        did you use multithreaded ffmpeg with it? if yes, that's pretty depressing.

i haven't [yet] come across files that mplayer-mt cannot handle on a pretty low end dual core amd64 (ath64 x2 3800+), and i use xf86-video-ati with rv515 ati card.
        Last edited by yoshi314; 02 October 2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxdriver View Post
          DXVA for H.264 and VC-1 videos *doesn't work* under WinXP.

Take the Elephant's Dream 1080p video as an example:
          I just retested on my HD3850 AGP card with catalyst 9.9 and mplayerc_homecinema_x86_v1.2.908.0 and I can still get some h264 to work with VMR9 and default.

Elephants dream, doesn't work though, so I guess I may just have tested a lucky couple of stream types.

Apple quicktime bbc-africa 1080p works as does this 40meg dvb-s cap from BBC HD -

I only have a single core XP2500 @ 2.1 Ghz and can nowhere near play these using software decode.

Comment

Apple quicktime bbc-africa 1080p works
            Do you have a direct link to the 1080p version? (the 1080p video was removed from Apple's HD site)

I guess I may just have tested a lucky couple of stream types.
            Here's another 1080p stream for testing:

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

This one is less demanding (should run at full framerate in software mode with your overclocked 2500+). Download the clip and see if your HD3850 can accelertate this one.
            Last edited by tuxdriver; 03 October 2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxdriver View Post
              Do you have a direct link to the 1080p version? (the 1080p video was removed from Apple's HD site)
              No I've had it for quite a while, It looks much the same bitrate as the sahara one.

Here's the first 75 meg - http://www.andyqos.ukfsn.org/bbc-africa_m1080p-75.mov

Here's another 1080p stream for testing:

Watch trailers for movies and TV shows on tv.apple.com. Browse trailers for upcoming TV series and films.

This one is less demanding (should run at full framerate in software mode with your overclocked 2500+). Download the clip and see if your HD3850 can accelertate this one.
              Can't decode that in software, using mplayer -nosound -vo null 92-98% VC, but the stream is quite variable bitrate and mplayer averages long. Using top I can see 80-100% CPU and that's without VO and sound.

It does decode OK on XP with UVD - 4-8% CPU -

Comment

DXVA (bitstream acceleration) for H.264 and VC-1 videos *doesn't work* under WinXP.
                Under Windows XP,you need to use a player that uses DXVA to use UVD on Windows.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ works, although I have found some H264 broadcast streams that don't work. I don't have a clue if it's the player, DXVA, the drivers or UVD on my card that's the problem.
                I finally found a way to enable bitstream acceleration under WinXP. It works now and plays 99% of the HD videos / streams available on the net. The missing ingredient was a little app called DXVA Checker.

Here's how to enable DXVA acceleration under WinXP:

* Install the latest version of ATI Catalyst (Currently 9.9),.NET Framework 2.0 or 3.5SP1 (v3.5 is needed for EVR) and the latest DirectX runtimes (August 2009).
                * Get DXVA checker from here: http://bluesky23.hp.infoseek.co.jp/en/index.html ,open the video acceleration settings window,load the AVIVO preset,press OK and then reboot the PC.
                * Install the latest version of MPC-HC (1.3.x),go to the 'options' and enable the H.264/VC1 DXVA transform filters.
                * Set the default renderer to Overlay Mixer to minimize CPU usage or EVR Custom Presenter if you need high quality scaling, shaders and subtitles (requires installation of the bloated .NET Framework 3.5). Avoid using the VMR renderers. VMR 7/9 produce a lot of jitter and nasty artifacts.

* Best settings for EVR Custom Presenter:
                ----------------------------------------
                - Output Range 0-255
                - VSync ON
                - Accurate VSync ON
                - Alternative VSync ON
                - 10bit RGB OFF
                - Frame time Correction ON
                - Flush GPU before VSync ON
                - Flush GPU after present ON
                - Wait for flushes ON

All videos work now,including the Elephants Dream .mkv and a few exotic ones (60fps AVCHD and VC-1 clips).

The CPU load is very low (0% ~ 7% on a 2GHz single core box)
                Last edited by tuxdriver; 07 October 2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  This has piqued my interest. I haven't used Windows in a a long time, but I think I'll dig out my old PATA disk and see how my RadeonHD 4550 fares with video.

I just hope that I don't have any issues with Windows Genuine (Dis)Advantage.
                  Nevermind, every time I try to install drivers for my wireless card, Windows freezes. Now I remember why I don't use Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Nevermind, every time I try to install drivers for my wireless card, Windows freezes. Now I remember why I don't use Windows.
                    Yes... stupid windows... we never have driver problems on linux

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                      Yes... stupid windows... we never have driver problems on linux
                      Works For Me (c)

Comment

Working...
                      X