No announcement yet.

Plymouth Gets A DRM Renderer Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with nanonyme since for my daily dose of internet forum and mail it works perfectly !

Comment

Originally posted by fabiank22 View Post
      *sigh* /yum/log/

Oct 01 16:07:18 Updated
      ... 142 Updates/around 200 Megs later
      Oct 01 16:21:42 Updated

So yeah, 14 Minutes isn't what I would call a whole night, but then again I really like to sleep late...
      14,2/142 = 10 seconds per update on avarage, while Fedora sesolves dependancys per package.Lol who the fsck are you kidding? Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        14,2/142 = 10 seconds per update on avarage, while Fedora sesolves dependancys per package.Lol who the fsck are you kidding? Liar.
        I don't want to get picky but 14:20 / 142 = 6 seconds per package.
        Looking though my logs I get somewhere around 2.5 seconds per package on long stretches and I would be happy to show you logs from many machines I admin.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Actually I can guess why Fedora wasn't that fast for you: Ever since Fedora 11 they had Presto-RPMs, which is the same as SUSEs Delta-patches without the trouble, meaning instead of downloading all packages anew you just get patches and just have to download the changed files, which saves a shitload of time. Fedora 10 and previus didn't have this at release, and the servers were actually a lot slower back then, probably because of more traffic.

So yeah, I switched from (K)Ubuntu to Fedora, there are many advantages, including:

- KDE not being broken as hell all the time
          - better X-Server-Team, doing faster and more stable updates
          - Not having to use half of Gnome
          - Better artwork (Kubuntu is ugly, sorry to say it, but it is)

It also has disadvantages, for example it's harder to get codecs and the communitiy isn't half as good as that of Ubuntu.

Comment

Actually I can guess why Fedora wasn't that fast for you:
            Actually those numbers are just for the installation, the download numbers are not included because they happen before the update. But yeah, good point, yum-presto does a very good job. It saves me about 80% of download bandwidth, but that does come at a cost to the CPU processing. As it recreates the rpms it tells you how many kbps it is running at. I have a slow machine and a slow connection and it goes somewhere between 250-750kBps which is always faster than my connection (200kBps) but may be slower than other peoples. It does it in parallel while it is downloading which is good too.

From Fedora 1 to about Fedora 6 I used apt-get instead of yum because it had more features and was faster. Around Fedora 6 I went back to yum because I could no longer find any missing features and the performance difference was negligible.

Comment

Actually I can guess why Fedora wasn't that fast for you: Ever since Fedora 11 they had Presto-RPMs, which is the same as SUSEs Delta-patches without the trouble,
              I'm sorry for calling you a liar because I think I know why it took so long for Fedora to patch on my machine if it is using delta patches: I have of those first SSD's and it could be suffering from the can't-read-and-write-at-the-same-time-bug and if Yum is constantly demanding read and write instead of just remove->install update than that could be the reason Fedora 11 took 3 hours to update compared to 15 minutes with apt-get.

Comment

Working...
              X