Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Gets A DRM Renderer Plug-In

Phoronix: Plymouth Gets A DRM Renderer Plug-In

Plymouth, the nifty boot splash program developed by Red Hat to replace RHGB and leverages kernel-based mode-setting to provide a flicker-free experience, is in the process of picking up more features. Committed to the Plymouth repository is now a DRM plug-in.There is a generic DRM renderer plug-in that was committed containing non-driver/hardware specific code and then following that was initial support for NVIDIA, Intel, and AMD hardware with this DRM plug-in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I suppose they heard someone who wanted to play Doom 3 during booting and took him seriously :P

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      I suppose they heard someone who wanted to play Doom 3 during booting and took him seriously :P
      hehe no kidding. I remember almost ten years back I was playing Tetris during Caldera's Open Linux installation. Of course there is a difference between Tetris and Doom, but there is a difference between 2000 and 2010+ as well
      Only negative, Linux boots so fast and Doom needs so much time...

Comment

I could think of better things for those devs to work on...

Comment

They seem to be trying to make the Linux boot process as much like that of a M@c as they can (switch to native res immediately, no flickering, fancy effects, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            I could think of better things for those devs to work on...
            Fedora sure as hell needs some work. When you boot with a USB mouse plugged into a laptop and then later unplug it you can reboot your laptop in order for the touchpad to start working <_<'

Maybe that's why they wanted the bootscreen to be little bit more interesting? Sounds like Microsoft madness...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Fedora sure as hell needs some work. When you boot with a USB mouse plugged into a laptop and then later unplug it you can reboot your laptop in order for the touchpad to start working <_<'
              Well, on your Laptop maybe. But please refrain from talking about bugs only you have as if they were a problem everybody has.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                hehe no kidding. I remember almost ten years back I was playing Tetris during Caldera's Open Linux installation. Of course there is a difference between Tetris and Doom, but there is a difference between 2000 and 2010+ as well
                Only negative, Linux boots so fast and Doom needs so much time...
                Thats nothing. In the late 80's I remember playing a Tetris minigame while Joe Blade 2 was loading from cassette. In those days you could usually go from turning the computer on to playing the game in 3-4 minutes. No waiting minutes before the OS had loaded. I fear the golden age has passed

But if it can speed up booting my media centre pc or make the startup snazzier then I'm all for it.

Comment

I'll tell you how all of this will end: they'll do a complete renderer in a separate library, with abstracted sub-renderers for each gfx card family. And when it's too late they'll realize we have yet another rendering system on the platform.
                  Maybe they should have simply imported mesa or gallium into plymouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
                    I'll tell you how all of this will end: they'll do a complete renderer in a separate library, with abstracted sub-renderers for each gfx card family. And when it's too late they'll realize we have yet another rendering system on the platform.
                    Hehe. The real revolution would be to load Pulseaudio and play music while the computer is booting! :P

Maybe they should have simply imported mesa or gallium into plymouth.
                    Actually, that's what the ubuntu devs are trying to do: start up the X server as soon as possible and use regular GPU acceleration (xrender/opengl/whatever). Sounds like a sensible plan to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X