Gentoo Will Celebrate 10th Birthday With LiveDVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    Uhm, Michael, what is "Gentoo Ten" actually? AFAIK, there's no such thing. Gentoo is always "Gentoo Now". There's no "ten" or "eleven" or whatever. Same as Arch Linux.
    Gentoo is a "metadistro" (this results in some packages going in really fast and some a bit slower) and as such you are right versioning gentoo doesn't make sense

HOWEVER, Gentoo10 is just an aniversary event. It is the 10th aniversary this year of when gentoo was created. GentooPR is doing a big drive w.r.t. it, new LiveDVD, screenshot comp...

Gentoo made a bad decision a few years back pushing out installCD's w.r.t. dates and with an aim of twice yearly (like other distro's...). This ate into releng time and it just collapse.
    In reality such a thing isn't needed.
    Gentoo now has weekly stage3 tarballs automatically made and we still have the liveCD from "2008.0". A new liveCD is only really needed if newer hardware w.r.t. hdd controller and co comes out or a major security issue is found in one of the package

This is just PR, and a good one. The liveDVD is really good. the method to autogen it is alot better then the old catalyst so it is also really good for others to make a custom CD/DVD based upon gentoo

Comment

Nice to see that though I wonder why OOo 3.0 and not 3.1.x and why to have a GentooLiveDVD anyway. I mean, Gentoo is all about source - but then, if people just like the idea of having a liveDVD from a source based distribution, why not.
      Sad is that Gentoo F?rderverein e.V. is probably going to dissolve (German manship for pushing Gentoo in Germany). That won't mean much to Gentoo itself but presence of Gentoo on exhibitions in Germany might be endangered.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Nice
        I can't find real (my personal) use for this DVD, but it's good to see news about Gentoo after couple years of silence.
        I have tried it in 2004 but gave up after few months due to compilation times and went back to Debian/Ubuntu (there was little to no difference then)
        Switched back in summer 2006 (C2D release) and can not leave it.
        It is faster and more customizable than any binary distro.
        One of the best things about Gentoo is "no stupid questions" on Gentoo forums.
        Computer illiterate people (counted as guru on Ubuntu forums) are not there. So generally people RTFM first, searching google next and only then asking questions. They do appreciate other people time and work.
        Last edited by n0nsense; 29 September 2009, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I've been a user of Gentoo since early 2004. The whole source-thing was a bit overwhelming at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's a really enjoyable distro.

For me, the (supposed) speed gain is not really an issue. And with current processors, even compiling time is not much of a problem anymore. The main advantages of Gentoo for me are the fine control over the system, the timely availability of the newest software in portage, and the most useful forums and documentation wikis of any distribution anywhere.

Gentoo sometimes makes things difficult, but getting good documentation and help online is simply a joy, as the community is not only helpful, but extremely knowledgable too.

I've had good experiences with both SuSE and Debian before, and I still appreciate them, but Gentoo is really the way linux is meant to me, IMHO.

Comment

Well, a nice live CD/DVD with recent software on it is always useful. True, Gentoo is designed to be installed from a chroot of every other distro you can imagine, but still, having a Gentoo-based live CD is preferable, especially for recovery purposes. It's just quicker, as Gentoo's tools come with the CD.

As for the benefits of Gentoo, I know of no other distros (maybe with the exception of Arch) that will allow you to apply various patches to the software you install with such ease. It always makes me grin when I read those Ubuntu forums and see people crying out "how to apply this patch, plz plz plz tell me" and then there's someone with a huge "do it yourself" guide, describing how to get the deb source, streamline the patch into it, recreate the deb specs, etc. With Gentoo, all I need is 2 or 3 lines in a file in /etc and the package manager will apply the patch automatically I just love that

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Well, a nice live CD/DVD with recent software on it is always useful. True, Gentoo is designed to be installed from a chroot of every other distro you can imagine, but still, having a Gentoo-based live CD is preferable, especially for recovery purposes. It's just quicker, as Gentoo's tools come with the CD.

As for the benefits of Gentoo, I know of no other distros (maybe with the exception of Arch) that will allow you to apply various patches to the software you install with such ease. It always makes me grin when I read those Ubuntu forums and see people crying out "how to apply this patch, plz plz plz tell me" and then there's someone with a huge "do it yourself" guide, describing how to get the deb source, streamline the patch into it, recreate the deb specs, etc. With Gentoo, all I need is 2 or 3 lines in a file in /etc and the package manager will apply the patch automatically I just love that
              Indeed, but still with Gentoo is much easier than with Arch or evry other distro to tune your system in maximum and also, to have absolute control over the software you install.

Comment

Working...
              X