Testing mesa 7.6 RC on Ubuntu karmic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing mesa 7.6 RC on Ubuntu karmic

For those on Ubuntu karmic, please help testing the mesa 7.6 release candidates. Builds from the 7.6 branch are available in this PPA:

I just uploaded the equivalent of RC1.

We will try to get 7.6 into karmic although it is beyond the karmic Beta freeze. Anyway, the mesa devs are grateful for all testing you can do.
    Last edited by tormod; 26 September 2009, 04:37 AM. Reason: all built

Is this the same package that you previously posted to xorg edgers?

Comment

Well what can I say, it works fine for me. That is, it starts X. I can't do much more with a RV770 under karmic. I assume you also disabled the r600 driver?

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        Is this the same package that you previously posted to xorg edgers?
        No, xorg-edgers is tracking the trunk (master branch) for what will be mesa 7.7. So the mesa 7.6 stuff is less "edgy", even very stable and solid from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Well what can I say, it works fine for me. That is, it starts X. I can't do much more with a RV770 under karmic. I assume you also disabled the r600 driver?
          Yes, r600 is disabled, since I also consider these packages as release candidates for karmic. For r600 in karmic a newer kernel (with the current drm-next) would be needed so I think that is too late. r600 in mesa 7.6 was also considered unstable and not really fit for distributions by the developers, although this might have changed over the last few days.

Comment

It would be nice to include also libdrm 2.4.14, it adds only some fixes (for mixed 32bit/64 bit OS + mem leaks) and PCI id for intel B43.

Comment

Is there anything specific that needs tested?

Comment

So, what's the current status?

Comment

Originally posted by greg View Post
                  So, what's the current status?
                  It does not look good for karmic, some decisions-makers outside the ubuntu X team decided that pulling in new versions after Beta is too risky. So we might see Ubuntu 9.10 ship with an old git master snapshot instead of a real release, and all important bug fixes will have to be backported individually. Fail. Of course this work is to be done by someone else than the ones who set the foot down...

I can just recommend to use the x-updates PPA, or xorg-edgers for the more experimental

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
                    It does not look good for karmic, some decisions-makers outside the ubuntu X team decided that pulling in new versions after Beta is too risky. So we might see Ubuntu 9.10 ship with an old git master snapshot instead of a real release, and all important bug fixes will have to be backported individually. Fail. Of course this work is to be done by someone else than the ones who set the foot down...

I can just recommend to use the x-updates PPA, or xorg-edgers for the more experimental
                    That's a pity.... I had benchmarks coming out today of Ubuntu 9.04 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 + Mesa 7.6.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X