M$ is competing with Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    I sure as hell wouldn't. I think MS bought some ads referencing Linux because they're running scared.
    I'd expect them not to care that much. Call me a cynic but I suspect a fake, yet again.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      I'd expect them not to care that much. Call me a cynic but I suspect a fake, yet again.
      Considering that the evidence given in the Comes Anti-Trust trial indicates that they DO care quite a bit and their estimates put usage of Linux somewhere quite a bit higher than the figures that IDC and their ilk imply (Not to mention a bit of insider scuttlebutt I can't fully disclose... ).

Now, as for this, perhaps it's a fake, perhaps it's not- in the end, though, your call of "not caring" isn't sufficient to call it one.

Comment

Couple things. Microsoft keeps throwing out un named patents at the open source community. This is obviously a fake out scare tactict. If they do have these patents revealing them would like set off a flurry of antitrust suits against the patent office. So they use that tactic like some boogey man in the closet. Not exactly art of war stuff. If they did pull those out it would probably go something like this..

This is how you take care of a child's "boogie man" in the closet.

Second. So much of sales is now business. They are hawking $30 copies of windows 7 all over the college community and turning their head to fishy 30 and 45 dollar key sales going on all over the place. Business is done this year. It won't get new budgets till next march and april. So you can pretty much forget a windows 7 flood for quite a while.

Third they yap and yap and yap about everybody stealing windows all over the world and blah blah blah. Which just isn't TRUE. It's used far less world wide than anyone at Microsoft would like to admit. Mostly because it isn't secure. Do you really think the chinese would allow 300 400 million computers to use stuff with THIS in it.

And after you read that you'll understand why all the fighting and fussing over default browsers. Windows 7 is going to hit the world market like a disease. It will be poked and prodded before anyone touches it.
        Last edited by Hephasteus; 26 September 2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
          Third they yap and yap and yap about everybody stealing windows all over the world and blah blah blah. Which just isn't TRUE. It's used far less world wide than anyone at Microsoft would like to admit. Mostly because it isn't secure. Do you really think the chinese would allow 300 400 million computers to use stuff with THIS in it
          Guess it's mostly gamers who are pirating Windows (and their games). As they say, Linux is no threat to Windows as a gaming platform, pirated Windows is.

Comment

Guess it's mostly gamers who are pirating Windows (and their games). As they say, Linux is no threat to Windows as a gaming platform, pirated Windows is.
            Rent for a small place in china is 50 bucks a month US 450 yuan. Would you pop 300 to 600 bucks for a game?

Comment

Linux actually has an extreme amount of potential as a gaming platform, if the major game studios would just utilize it.

Comment

if people can steal, they will steal. You dont get caught, that simple. Even up here its legal (for now) to a certain extent.

That leads open a whole new can of worms. This is why companies use DRM. If i had to make a rough estimate I would say that about 30% of people who steal dont know how to perform the basics of patching a game's securom and that forces a small number of them to buy the product.

As a gaming platform, sure linux has potential. But it doesn't have DX and X11 still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  As a gaming platform, sure linux has potential. But it doesn't have DX and X11 still sucks.
                  Who needs DirectX? OpenGL FTW! It can do everything DirectX can do, and it is available for all platforms. And X11 does not suck. It is not perfect, but it isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
                    Who needs DirectX?
                    Just about anyone who makes a game on windows or xbox apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      Just about anyone who makes a game on windows or xbox apparently.
                      I didn't ask who Uses it, but who Needs it.

Comment

Working...
                      X