Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fragadelic,
    You said,
    The FAQ they just put up should have been there from the beginning.
    The faq page was up quite soon after the site was taken down by the host. A simple look at the url would have taken anyone who searched for it directly to that page.

You said,
    The information I posted was obtained from some of the pclinuxos forums so if you have a problem with it, go bug them about it.
    Which forums? I've not seen your name on any of them. Are you using a different name? Nor have I seen any of the "info" you've posted on any of the forums. Would you care to say which forum? And if you are using a different name there, what is it?

You said,
    I stopped using PCLinuxOS when you guys stopped offering updates and patches for 093 - plain and simple. You abandoned it and so did I.
    Support for 93 can still be had on the forums. That's never been abandoned. Yes the dev team has focused on the work of getting 2007 out, but the 93 repositories are still up, and the support for it is still available.

You said,
    .....stop crying about it and blaming others for your misfortunes and do something positive about it.
    Blame? What's blame got to do with it? As for doing something, there has been no cessation of "doing something." Work to find a solution began immediately and has been ongoing from then. Progress has been, is being and will be made - despite any statements by anyone to the contrary.

You said,
    Texstar should have posted all the info on a temp page so that the different rumours never would have surfaced.
    The information was posted as soon as information became available. The rumours were started by those who didn't bother to read the information or who thought they saw an opportunity to up themselves by lowering others.

Comment

If the info was easy to find in the first place, this thread wouldn't have existed.

You don't have to register on a forum to be able to read what it says.

Like I said earlier, I abandoned PCLinuxOS when they stopped supporting it with updates so nothing to add to the forums.

This isn't about me. This is about PCLinuxOS.

If you are interested in finding out where the iunfo is, then search for it. I have better things to do than go searching for you.

Bottom line is that the info about what happened wasn't easy to find and that is why this thread existed in the first place.

Do you think this thread would have existed if the info was readily available?

It is up to the distro to keep people informed, not the other way around.

Comment

Lets get a few things straight here.

I have used and supported PCLinuxOS in the past. I didn't pay for the premium downloads but I did donate. PCLinuxOS has been a distro I kept my eye on. Some versions worked on my home systems and others didn't so I use a few different distros for different tasks at home.

Someone asked a question here and I posted info that I found - plain and simple.

Had the information about what happened been available immediately and easily, this whole thread would not have existed so you figure it out.

This is now getting to be a waste of time.

PCLinuxOS is still alive - good.
        They are resolving their hosting issues - good.
        They have provided information about what happened - good.

What is the point of keeping this going now?

Comment

Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
          Lets get a few things straight here.

PCLinuxOS is still alive - good.
          They are resolving their hosting issues - good.
          They have provided information about what happened - good.

What is the point of keeping this going now?
          The point is and was simple. If you give mis-information and try to validate that mis-information by your credentials, then your of a questionable character.

People just like you were giving out wrong information. We simply care enough about what we are involved in to correct that wrong information. The reason you were responded to as you were was because instead of saying "it was your opinion from the beginning" you made it seem as you actually knew what was happening when you didn't. Now that you have been corrected instead of saying. I'm sorry I guess i was mistaken you have continued to defend yourself when you have nothing to defend, but your mis-information.

So what you liked about the support of .93, what you would have like to have been done and what was the better decision will be reflected in the future and has started to be reflected now as PCLinuxOS has climb dramatically in popularity since .93. You are correct there's no reason for this to continue. As for here on you'll just continue to get more offensive and nothing will be productive. Thank you for your time. Have a great day. Please say the last word and get this over with.
          Last edited by jmiahman; 17 April 2007, 12:06 PM.

Comment

You are still missing the point.

Like I said, this all could have been avoided in the first place had the information been easily available.

It wasn't so I posted what I found - end of story.

Laying blame about this kind of stuff on end-users is very damaging. Like I also said earlier, it isn't up to the users to inform, it is up to the distro.

I believe they have learned from it and will make a real effort to post information that will be easily found in the future. All distros learn from their mistakes or disappear. That is a simple fact.

If I'm not mistaken, the PCLinuxOS folks/devs or whomever engaged in a flamewar with a guy who actually wrote a glowing review for PCLinuxOS but was a bit upset that he was getting a pile of emails about his article as PCLinuxOS was down. I'm pretty sure getting flamed on the forum for a good review that turned bad because the distro went offline was not a good idea.

I know how passionate folks get about Linux and their favourite distro. Been around a long time and have seen many come and go over the years.

Again, it isn't the job of the endusers to have to dig deep to find information about it.

The information I posted turned out to be wrong - big deal. 1 post isn't going to cause the ACTUAL demise of anything. Had the correct official info been easily available, I would have gladly posted that but as everyone knows, if that were the case, this thread would never have existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragadelic View Post
              You are still missing the point.
              So you are a last word, I have to defend my ego type of person. Interesting I pegged you as this from your first post. You're not getting the point, or I guess reading for that matter much like you haven't done from the beginning. The information was there on the front page. From the Beginning. I can post dates if you'd like.

Like I said, this all could have been avoided in the first place had the information been easily available.

It wasn't so I posted what I found - end of story.

Laying blame about this kind of stuff on end-users is very damaging. Like I also said earlier, it isn't up to the users to inform, it is up to the distro.
              Well I'm not blaming end users I'm blaming you and others who don't even use PCLinuxOS and aren't even involved in the community and feel that they have a right to tell others what's going on.

I believe they have learned from it and will make a real effort to post information that will be easily found in the future. All distros learn from their mistakes or disappear. That is a simple fact.
              What they have learned is that people such as yourself very easily skew any truth that gets posted. No matter what information they give out it's obviously that people are more worried about there ego getting hurt then actually telling the truth.

If I'm not mistaken, the PCLinuxOS folks/devs or whomever engaged in a flamewar with a guy who actually wrote a glowing review for PCLinuxOS but was a bit upset that he was getting a pile of emails about his article as PCLinuxOS was down. I'm pretty sure getting flamed on the forum for a good review that turned bad because the distro went offline was not a good idea.
              At least this time you gave margin for error by saying "If I'm not mistaken", Well once again you are mistaken. There was no Flame war from any of the developers in the community if fact the developers posted what they responded to Doc John and it was quite civil and nice. Doc's replies weren't and just like others skewed what they had actually written. I encourage those who are actually reading this thread (and who cares) to read the PCLinuxOS Temp forums after reading all of Docs articles. Granted there are some users who are quite negative and defensive towards Doc John, but none of those are developers. In reading it and comparing it to the article you can see where the confusion lied and then were the truth was skewed in a knowingly way on the behalf of Doc.

I know how passionate folks get about Linux and their favourite distro. Been around a long time and have seen many come and go over the years.

Again, it isn't the job of the endusers to have to dig deep to find information about it.
              No it's the job of the common man to believe everything they read and see on TV. People out there must think I really worked with the Pope in that case because I wrote it in a previous post. Mis-information is every where in society and no one takes credit for it or is held accountable for it, a prime example is you can't even take responsibility for your own mis-information. It has to be someone else's fault doesn't it. A perfect person like you couldn't be wrong.

The information I posted turned out to be wrong - big deal. 1 post isn't going to cause the ACTUAL demise of anything. Had the correct official info been easily available, I would have gladly posted that but as everyone knows, if that were the case, this thread would never have existed.
              It was available, but no matter what information was put out people would still speculate. You can have all the rumor controls in place and because of the freedom of the internet and with some countries the freedom of speech, people will lie or assume things. Then you have a group of people who instead of seeking the truth or believing the original statement take peoples twisted view of something and run with it. That is what has happened. Have fun replying as I won't be visiting this thread again. It's really not an ego thing for me I really just wanted people to get the right information. For those people who actually believe everything they read. There needed to be a truthful rebuttal. Thanks for the fun maybe I'll see you around.
              Last edited by jmiahman; 17 April 2007, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Dudes... it's a distro. Which may or may not have temporarily died.

Remind me how this brings anyone to character assassination?

Comment

Originally posted by Synergy6 View Post

That's exactly the point it didn't die and that is what is needed to be known. For people who know how much character matters what people type and the truths that they are expressed define who they are on the internet. It may not matter to you but it matters to me and others. For some it's not just a distribution it's a community of people who matter. If you get involved in that community or if you are already you'll know that.
                  Last edited by jmiahman; 17 April 2007, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I think you somewhat missed my point.

Whether the distro "died" or not is irrelevant. Y'all don't have to start ripping apart each others' characters over it. Keep things in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Synergy6 View Post

Exactly!

I guess I might as well take full responsibility for everything bad that has happened to PCLinuxOS. I must have told their host to drop them and I must have somehow made ibiblio servers crash and I must have also prevented them from providing the information right when it happened.

There you have it - it appears as though I am completely to blame for it all!

Comment

Working...
                      X