Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,829

    Default DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

    Phoronix: DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

    David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise, R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards. Also found within the Linux 2.6.32 DRM is the much-worked VGA Arbitration code, the KMS page-flipping ioctl, Radeon TV-Out, and the Intel DRM code now supports dynamic clocking for improved power management. The list of highlights for the Linux 2.6.32 DRM so far can be found on the dri-devel mailing list...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Nw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default

    What is the dynamic clocking improvement in the Intel DRM code? What sort of benefit should the average laptop user get from it?

    Cheers,

    Albert.

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

    David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise, R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards. Also found within the Linux 2.6.32 DRM is the much-worked VGA Arbitration code, the KMS page-flipping ioctl, Radeon TV-Out, and the Intel DRM code now supports dynamic clocking for improved power management. The list of highlights for the Linux 2.6.32 DRM so far can be found on the dri-devel mailing list...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Nw

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    155

    Default

    I'm not sure I read David's mail correctly :
    I see 3D acceleration for R600 in non KMS-mode
    And I see R600 KMS + acceleration.
    I assume the above "acceleration" includes also 3D with KMS.
    Am I right?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Ok , but how about VIA DRM code ? Will be added into 2.6.32 ?

    Hope to see support for chrome9 asap, because sometimes I wanna put my laptop through the window...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    What is the dynamic clocking improvement in the Intel DRM code?
    Downclock GPU render clock when GPU is idle:
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...st/003879.html

    Similar to intel Speedstep and AMD Cool'n Quiet except that GPU Voltage isn't lowered. Just Freq is reduced and Power = C * Freq * VID^2.

    Quote Originally Posted by avilella View Post
    What sort of benefit should the average laptop user get from it?
    Longer power on time whilst on battery.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Die trolls, die!
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Isn't DRM = bad ??

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    DRM as in Direct Rendering Manager, not DRM as in Digital Restrictions Management,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Does this 3D support for R600/R700 means that I'll be able to play UT2K4 or Heroes of Newerth with my ATI HD4870 with this open-source driver, getting ride of fglrx ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: DRM Changes For Linux 2.6.32 Kernel

    David Airlie has just called for the first DRM pull request for the Linux 2.6.32 kernel. To no surprise, R600/700 3D support can be found within the Direct Rendering Manager code as with kernel mode-setting support for these newer ATI Radeon graphics cards. Also found within the Linux 2.6.32 DRM is the much-worked VGA Arbitration code, the KMS page-flipping ioctl, Radeon TV-Out, and the Intel DRM code now supports dynamic clocking for improved power management. The list of highlights for the Linux 2.6.32 DRM so far can be found on the dri-devel mailing list...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzU0Nw
    Hmmm...I hope it doesn't take a few months for the Catalyst Drivers to be compatible with it.

    I wonder if Ubuntu is going to enable Radeon KMS by default in the upcoming releases.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by m4rgin4l View Post
    Hmmm...I hope it doesn't take a few months for the Catalyst Drivers to be compatible with it.
    Catalyst will NEVER be compatible with it. You are going to have to entirely disable it in order for catalyst to work. That means ensuring that the applicable modules aren't loaded at bootup. No matter anyhow since catalyst is almost obsolete now, just a few more bug fixes for the open source driver and you'll never need catalyst again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •