Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LGP Brings Over Original Shadowgrounds Game

Phoronix: LGP Brings Over Original Shadowgrounds Game

For the better part of a year, LGP was porting Shadowgrounds: Survivor to Linux after in early 2008 we learned that Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds: Survivor were coming to Linux (back when they were being ported outside of LGP). However, in late August, Shadowgrounds: Survivor went gold...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, there's demos out for both games too.

It doesn't seem to work with Mesa at the moment, not exactly a surprise, but I wonder if LGP is doing any testing on Mesa at all?

Comment

Good, lets try the demos then.

Comment

Well, i tried the demo on debian testing 64bit but:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

anybody an idea how to fix that?

Comment

You know, I have heard of developers complaining so much about mesa, because it can only accelerate OpenGL 1.4, making the supported set seem archaic. I think that MESA needs to come up-to-scratch again, and will only do so with Gallium.

Until MESA is up-to-date enough, it is really a waste of time testing your game designed with shaders, to run on a shaderless stack

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            You know, I have heard of developers complaining so much about mesa, because it can only accelerate OpenGL 1.4, making the supported set seem archaic. I think that MESA needs to come up-to-scratch again, and will only do so with Gallium.

Until MESA is up-to-date enough, it is really a waste of time testing your game designed with shaders, to run on a shaderless stack
            Mesa supports OpenGL 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by .CME. View Post
              Well, i tried the demo on debian testing 64bit but:

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

anybody an idea how to fix that?
              I guess you need ia32-libs-gtk or some other package with ia32 libs.

Anyway, 32bit support on 64bit is really bad in Debian, you're much better off just running a 32bit system until real multi-arch is implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                I guess you need ia32-libs-gtk or some other package with ia32 libs.
                [...]
                thanks, that worked

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

The level of GL support with mesa depends on the individual driver. The software renderer supports up to GL 2.1, and the Intel driver is at roughly the same level. The ATI drivers support roughly 1.5 with KMS and 1.4 without KMS. Note that shaders have been supported for a long time via the ARB_Vertex_Program and ARB_Fragment_Program extensions... it's the newer GLSL which is not supported on all drivers yet.
                  Test signature

Comment

I'm running the 2.8 Intel drivers, and I can't get shaders to work at all. This is on an X3100 (G35) CPU. (KMS-enabled) (Mesa 7.5)

It reports OpenGL 1.4, but most of 1.5 features seem to be supported.

My point is, the software renderer works quite well, whereas the accelerated options have all kinds of issues. Until mesa can reach the maturity where we can fire up Doom3, and run the standard OpenGL ARB renderer implementation with only very minor errors, most game developers will probably not go through the effort of testing/bugfixing for MESA drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X