Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 6 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 6 Released

For those of you wanting to test out some new software over the weekend (well, if you are not at Oktoberfest in Munich), Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 6 is now available. Ubuntu 9.10 entered into a feature freeze a month ago so there are major upstream package updates in here, although there is the final Linux 2.6.31 kernel, more recent GNOME 2.28 snapshots, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    For those of you wanting to test out some new software over the weekend
    Thats why I keep room on my HD... always trying to find and report a few bugs to help my favorite distro.
    Last edited by tmpdir; 19 September 2009, 09:00 AM.

Comment

So, immediately before this, my 9.10 install got hosed.
      Now I'm trying to chroot in, but it doesn't have an internet connection when I do that..

Comment

anybody know what version of the restricted driver for Nvidia will be in this one?
        I kind of got hosed last time when Jaunty first came out I had an ATI and the restricted driver did not support the new kernal.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
          anybody know what version of the restricted driver for Nvidia will be in this one?
          I kind of got hosed last time when Jaunty first came out I had an ATI and the restricted driver did not support the new kernal.

The AMD Catalyst in Ubuntu 9.04 did support the current kernel at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
            nvidia driver 185.18.36.

Edit: Oops was already mentioned by d2kx... need to refres the page after getting a cup of coffee
            Last edited by tmpdir; 19 September 2009, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post

The AMD Catalyst in Ubuntu 9.04 did support the current kernel at that time.
              Thanks,
              It may have worked for most people but I could not get it working with my 4870 X2 card. Which I have since gotten rid of and switched to a Nvidia card which has worked a lot better for me.

Comment

You could simply update the nvidia driver this way:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf*
                wget -N http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh

then login as user in vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1) and run there:

sudo sh install-nvidia-debian.sh

it works even in live mode, there the username is ubuntu and when password is asked press enter. If no binary driver is preinstalled just run the script.

Comment

I am grabbing a copy now and I will try it in a Virtualbox setting first before I decide to install it. I am trying the Xubuntu variation first, and will, more than likely, try Kubuntu as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X