Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaLink 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter

Phoronix: MediaLink 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter

When setting up my new office recently one of the test machines wound up being a distance away from the rest of the systems and the wired network. Rather than going through the hassle of dropping a CAT-6 line to this test station, the quicker and easier approach was to just pickup another USB WiFi adapter. The wireless adapter ended up being the MediaLink USB54G that offers USB 2.0 and 802.11g support, but only mentioned compatibility for Microsoft Windows 2000, XP, and Vista systems. How did the MediaLink USB adapter working out under Linux? Quite well.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Your article contains an error:

The RT2501USB Chipset uses the rt73usb driver.
    Chips that require the rt2500usb driver are EOL for quite some time.

Comment

Nice article

Comment

If you want to extend an existing wired network, you could also look at Homeplug technology, that uses ordinary power wiring to carry Ethernet data. All Homeplug devices are plug 'n' play, OS-independent, except for if you want to set up AES encryption :-(

After buying a motherboard with an RTL8187 that has reliability issues when uploading, and buying a D-link DWL-G122 stick that has low speeds (also uses r73usb driver), I bought the Homeplug and I'm pretty happy with it. And it's network transparent so it's guaranteed that no kernel updates will break it.

Comment

Working...
        X