Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Linux geek making his mate obedient? That's something whose mere attempt would be worth seeing - and laughing at. ^^
    But to make him a boyfriend at first place she must have the geekness in her blood as well

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Well at least I convinced parts of my family and partially my GF. But that about the atrocious conditions is often true. Thousands of start centers and useless stuff in the Windows systray, and they wonder why the box is so slow. Some think a step further and install an antivirus solution. Only problem: 10 of the at the same time resident in memory and 5 of them being just scareware.
      Girls who install antiviruses by their own aren't acceptable customers for us. We want just the ones who want their machines just for fun. Fortunately this is the absolute majority. Personally, I don't know any girl that installed anything alone except very few girls that study computer science

Yes it's easier to have someone switch who's just mailing and chatting and doing that kind of stuff but heavy gamers... impossible. Also Skype as a means of video communication is a real P.I.T.A. since the Linux version sucks compared to the Windows one and besides that it's untrusty closed stuff that is very likely being wiretapped. It also uses other strange techniques.
      If we persuade the majority of users who needs their computers (usually laptops) just to chit-chat, then the market-share of desktop Linux will improve by 10%. This alone will lead in adoption of the companies which will lead to more games, which will lead more users to switch to Linux. Everything is a chain. I live for the day, Linux Desktop hits the 25% of the marketshare. But the day it becomes a defacto will be the day I'll change OS
      Also, the thing that SKYPE is poorer in Linux, is an advantage. Remember, what we want is simpler things, fewer clicks and absolute absence of configuration. That's why I suggested Ubuntu, because of Gnome. It's simplicity is a treasure for customers like these

Some complain about Windows but then they fear the "unknown" Linux.
      Well, all the girls that look my PC, or the laptop's of the girls I converted, always ask what program is that? Heed, they refer to the OS as a program. The words XP/Vista/Linux is just a name for them.

I hate it to tell you ... but, Y'know that heise is visited by a lot of geeks and nerds. Okay, there it might be even higher if nerds were allowed to use Linux at work. But compare heise traffic to something like random-magazine-for-beauty-cooking-and-chitter and there you might see a lot of NT5.1+IE hits. I think the Linux "market share" is not easy to compute because Linux is not "sold" the classic way, there are few pre-installations and in general there is also a lot of dual/triple/whatever booting.
      I think the preinstallations, the forced bundling of windows with boxes makes the biggest problem, people do not get the idea of what an OS really is. They see the Windows as the computer (it's the same) and the internet consits of the "blue e". Some are not even aware about the option of having different prowsers. Presentations are always powerpoint and letters/emails are always written in word (where a simple editor would even be enough). Maximum of ignorance because everything is preinstalled. There is no knowing for them an even far less choice.

The EU had lawsuits with MS about bundling of browsers and stupid media players with their OS. I mean, WTF. It would be far better to have the choice of OS when you buy a laptop and to have the interfaces and file formats open for a better interoperability. Then people could move seamless between all kinds of OS.
      Yeah, the real menace is the preinstallation of windows in the new computers. If the governments obligated the computer sellers to give always option about the software that comes with a new computer, we would live in a better world.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
        Well, all the girls that look my PC, or the laptop's of the girls I converted, always ask what program is that? Heed, they refer to the OS as a program. The words XP/Vista/Linux is just a name for them.
        Well, considering an operating system generically is a set of programs and libraries with a kernel to run it all on, I don't think it's that far off. True, they might perceive it a bit wrong but technically if you answer "Linux" when they ask which program that is, you answered them wrong. You probably should've answered either "Gnome" or "KDE" or whichever desktop environment you're running.

Comment

Yeah, the real menace is the preinstallation of windows in the new computers. If the governments obligated the computer sellers to give always option about the software that comes with a new computer, we would live in a better world.
          Not gonna happen. This would completely obliterate the warranty system since the vendors simply can't test their computers with every single existing operating system and software and they can't ship you something they haven't tested will work. Also a law that would demand computers to be sold bare isn't gonna happen either since average users want things to Just Work (tm) for them.

Comment

Well, considering an operating system generically is a set of programs and libraries with a kernel to run it all on, I don't think it's that far off. True, they might perceive it a bit wrong but technically if you answer "Linux" when they ask which program that is, you answered them wrong. You probably should've answered either "Gnome" or "KDE" or whichever desktop environment you're running.
            I just say Ubuntu

Comment

Not gonna happen. This would completely obliterate the warranty system since the vendors simply can't test their computers with every single existing operating system and software and they can't ship you something they haven't tested will work. Also a law that would demand computers to be sold bare isn't gonna happen either since average users want things to Just Work (tm) for them.
              Probably, but they should give you at least the option, to buy the machine bare if you want.

Comment

Girls who install antiviruses by their own aren't acceptable customers for us. We want just the ones who want their machines just for fun. Fortunately this is the absolute majority. Personally, I don't know any girl that installed anything alone except very few girls that study computer science
                Wow, sexist tripe on a Linux forum, how original...

Comment

perhaps a mass female linux conversion campaign?

"mass" and "female" in the same sentence? L33F3R is in for it now....

Comment

Probably, but they should give you at least the option, to buy the machine bare if you want.
                    They probably do if you ask but that isn't going to significantly reduce the price since OEM Windows costs close to nothing.

Comment

They probably do if you ask but that isn't going to significantly reduce the price since OEM Windows costs close to nothing.
                      Nope, 99% of the cases they don't, also, a good, seller should ask the customer what OS he wants in the same way he asks what VGA card he wants.
                      The matter is not just the price (which is still lower with Linux, in a matter someone could buy an extra hard disk) but the fact the casual John who buys a computer believes that windows and PC is one and the same. If for some reason he gets the opportunity to get a PC with Linux, then we wouldn't see the 90% of the current Desktops to run window$.
                      Last edited by Apopas; 16 September 2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X