Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 173

Thread: Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wantedtosay View Post
    probably a deal breaker for me, I played quake 3 & 4 online practically all the time. I think I only realized that one or the other actually had some levels when I was testing my opengl setup. In fact, I haven't read much, or maybe anything, about Rage's online play. I know there's a level editor, so that bodes well for CTF and ridiculous deathmatches, but I haven't even seen a screenshot. Anyone playing online on a console or windows PC?
    At the moment the only multiplayer there is, is some racing and 9 co-op missions which are about 15min each.
    That's about it.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    376

    Default

    If I stand correctly, id has made more money from selling the game engines they produce rather than from selling their own games. So the game itself might be nothing more than a show of good engine technology rather than an awesome gaming experience. We'll still have to wait and see. Also the guess is that future games from bethesda such as newer fallout games will use the engine. Games like those might be more mature and interesting. Have to wait and see...

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b15hop View Post
    If I stand correctly, id has made more money from selling the game engines they produce rather than from selling their own games. So the game itself might be nothing more than a show of good engine technology rather than an awesome gaming experience. We'll still have to wait and see. Also the guess is that future games from bethesda such as newer fallout games will use the engine. Games like those might be more mature and interesting. Have to wait and see...
    If you want to license id tech 5, you have to publish with Bethesda.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogi_berra View Post
    If you want to license id tech 5, you have to publish with Bethesda.
    IIRC, they will not license id tech 5 outside of Bethesda/Zenimax at all.

    So we might see it in some Bethesda games, but Carmack made it clear that they are getting out of the engine licensing business and leaving it to the likes of Epic. I think that they lost that battle a long time ago anyway.

    This leaves id in an odd position IMHO. They are at the top of the stack when it comes to technical quality, always have been. They are still great at creating atmosphere. They don't (and have never had!) the feeling for storytelling, cinematic immersion and whatnot, and their games have always been about action wrapped up in a simplistic story that gives you just enough reason to go somewhere and shoot something or pogo-stick to some location, ever since Commander Keen.

    It seems like the new generation expects different types of games today, and id cannot (and will never be able to) produce them. I can only see them making Doom clones and online shooters. Personally, I can live with that just fine.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Australia
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    IIRC, they will not license id tech 5 outside of Bethesda/Zenimax at all.

    So we might see it in some Bethesda games, but Carmack made it clear that they are getting out of the engine licensing business and leaving it to the likes of Epic. I think that they lost that battle a long time ago anyway.

    This leaves id in an odd position IMHO. They are at the top of the stack when it comes to technical quality, always have been. They are still great at creating atmosphere. They don't (and have never had!) the feeling for storytelling, cinematic immersion and whatnot, and their games have always been about action wrapped up in a simplistic story that gives you just enough reason to go somewhere and shoot something or pogo-stick to some location, ever since Commander Keen.

    It seems like the new generation expects different types of games today, and id cannot (and will never be able to) produce them. I can only see them making Doom clones and online shooters. Personally, I can live with that just fine.
    I don't believe id lost the engine licensing battle. I just believe it wasn't doing them as many favours with the way they constructed their game engine. I think that it's in their favour to make a great game rather than just a great game engine. You're right that they aim for less == more. Sometimes too much story / atmosphere distracts from the point of it all... Here to play a game not watch a movie!

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    249

    Default

    id software linux website doesn't work:

    http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    132

    Default

    A Post from the user flibitijibibo of steam forum:

    Quote Originally Posted by flibitijibibo
    Hmm... some bad news, gentlemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by IRC!
    <desti_T2> TTimo, whats up with it? http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/
    <kevlarman> and ftp.idsoftware.com
    <TTimo> all retired
    <TTimo> the content from zerowing I'm working on moving to icculus.org
    <kevlarman> TTimo: and ftp?
    <TTimo> same. they didn't want to run/maintain it anymore
    <kevlarman> i mean, what about the linux binaries of id's games that haven't had source dumps yet/won't have source dumps
    <kevlarman> those don't really make sense on i.o
    <R_Nev> where am i going to download the commander keen source now?
    <TTimo> I know, that was brought up too. none of this is my decision obviously. they will communicate about it .. if they want to
    <kevlarman> and still no official word on rage?
    <kevlarman> *
    <TTimo> that's kind of in the same boat probably
    <TTimo> with the responsibilities I have now, I'm not really available to work on any of that
    <Nemoder> ah bummer
    <Nemoder> would it help to sign an online petition? :P
    <TTimo> do those ever help? they're more likely to look at it and say .. hey look, less than 10k people signed this .. why should we care again?
    <Nemoder> hehe yeah
    Sounds like they're having some trouble. It's too bad I'm pretty much the only one in the US that bought Rage... :P

    Seriously though, any ideas?

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Happy to hear this

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    317

    Default

    So basically iD out of games for linux now.

    so no Rage, no STEAM/SOURCE, no Postal3, no Unreal3

    just leaving indie's who prob just do linux to help get sales. linux and gaming has never looked so dire

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •