No announcement yet.

Survey on high priority Radeons bugs -> 2009-10-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, looks like the Intel KMS drm is still being loaded automatically even if you're running with non-Intel graphics. Blacklisting the Intel drivers and updating the initramfs then rebooting allowed the drm to start properly and then everything worked. Thanks !

EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 September 2009, 03:20 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

For many people includign me, with R6xx+, Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't work at all at the moment.

Binary package hint: gdm After mornings updates, gdm just loops over and over again. xterm session works TTY's fails to launch... Checking the logs and uploading them soon.... Kernel version doesn't matter. radeon driver in use. Code: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup... Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US. Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default. Code: /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup... Setting IM through im-...

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        For many people includign me, with R6xx+, Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't work at all at the moment.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ti/+bug/419126
        They shouldn't be shipping the r600 3D driver without the proper drm bits.

Comment

You mean mesa?

Comment

Mesa built with "r600" included in the --with-dri-drivers= option string...

... might be easier/better to patch in the r600 drm bits.
            Test signature

Comment

Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test

Comment

Or that they're all secretly running Kanotix and only pretending to install Ubuntu. I don't know.

The most likely explanation is that the release is still in development. The impact of always loading the Intel KMS drm seems to go a lot further than 6xx/7xx hardware:

i installed fglrx through jockey. rebooted. i get no acceleration, moving windows around is very jerky. using a: 08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series Xorg.0.log say: (WW) fglrx(0): *********************************************** (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! * (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) * (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) * (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D accel...

Binary package hint: nouveau-kernel-source 0.0.14+git20090715 module errors on install on up to date karmic amd64 $modprobe nouveau FATAL: Error inserting nouveau (/lib/modules/2.6.31-3-generic/updates/dkms/nouveau.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg) $dmesg [ 4215.445519] ttm: Unknown symbol drm_mm_get_block_generic [ 4215.445672] ttm: disagrees about version of symbol drm_mm_takedown [ 4215.445674] ttm: Unknown symbol drm_mm_takedown [ 4215.445773] ttm: disagre...

the kernel automatically loads i915,nvidia, and nouveau drivers. using nouveau or nvidia for X still works as expected but its not ideal, a broken ttm being loaded by i915 automatically a few weeks ago caused problems loading the nouveau driver (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nouveau-kernel-source/+bug/399702) attached is dmesg, lsmod and lspci
                Last edited by bridgman; 16 September 2009, 06:29 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  EDIT - just remembered something -- I noticed you mentioned that Google Earth wasn't working well -- it seems to run fine if you run it from the command line with vblank_mode=0.
                  I just copied that part from the X.org wiki page, but I'll add that tip (thanks). As for Google Earth, it effectively locks up my system because it's a 32-bit program. I need to build a 32-bit mesa, but I haven't got around to it.

... might be easier/better to patch in the r600 drm bits.
                  That would be really nice. They patched in the kernel bits needed for EXA/Xv in the last build, but I have a feeling that they'll stick with pure software Mesa in Karmic.

They shouldn't be shipping the r600 3D driver without the proper drm bits.
                  Yeah, it looks like they're patching mesa to not include it at the moment.

Does that maybe mean that U devs do not use R600 hardware to test
                  ..or test that hardware with only fglrx?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Ah yes, looks like the Intel KMS drm is still being loaded automatically even if you're running with non-Intel graphics.

Blacklisting the Intel drivers and updating the initramfs then rebooting allowed the drm to start properly and then everything worked.
                    This sure sounds like a high priority bug to me, why on earth are they loading Intel graphics drivers when there is no Intel GPU present?

I'm planning to switch to Karmic in about 2 weeks time, I sure hope this is fixed by then.

Comment

Because they use absolutely stupid code - did not install U nor did i test kms on intel, but the code which loads em is really easy to find even when you just test the live image:

i installed fglrx through jockey. rebooted. i get no acceleration, moving windows around is very jerky. using a: 08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series Xorg.0.log say: (WW) fglrx(0): *********************************************** (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! * (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) * (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) * (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D accel...

Look at my comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X