No announcement yet.

BFS Scheduler Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would see bigger differences if you had an ATi display adapter card...

Comment

Originally posted by Kebabbert
      I never get an good answer on my questions.
      Originally posted by Svartalf
      It could be because your tone in your posting...Backing up, calming down, and doing what you just did would and will help.
      Well, you sound cool and wise, like the blind kung-fu master. Now, are you really being fair here? You are advising the guy who received all sorts of insults for posting his views to 'back up' and 'calm down' to 'help' with the situation. So as long as somebody shares in some sense the position held by some loud group here it is fine to do name calling and label others as trolls. On the other hand, if you happen to say something not accepted by the hard liners you better back up or get the fuck out (you, your links, and the dirty money you got from MS, it seems).

Originally posted by Kebabbert
      Question: I am actually only collecting links from Linux kernel devs and present them here. I paste links from Linux kernel devs here. And also links from articles on the internet. Am I lying or Trolling or FUDing then? Yes or no? Can I get an answer, yes or no? Is it Trolling or FUDing to paste links? Yes or no?
      Depends on what you're precisely doing.

[snip welcomed technical bit] Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.
      Aggressive in terms of what? Why do you label Kebabbert's posts as aggressive while completely ignoring the terms and tone of the replies he got? Also, that somebody, somewhere, at some point, "[DID] that thing in the MS camp" is absolutely irrelevant. If anything, instead of affecting Kebabbert's claims, it should cast a shadow of doubt on the others, who should be wondering whether they are not misjudging him only because their own prejudices.

FOR THE LOGIC-IMPAIRED: defending Kebabbert's right to be treated fairly here does nothing to do with a) this thread's on-topic discussion; b) this thread's off-topic discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
        Back to offtopic.
        I think this is more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          Trolls master came back! Or maybe not? Cause you both are Phoronix members now and you both are the biggest trolls I ever saw (almost :>).

You always came when Kebbabert is trolling. What a dumbs... Oh, he/you is treated very fair, as trolls should be treated. Better option would be just ignoring such sick people, but to make this work everyone should do this. Btw. you can't even imagine why I have lot of fun from reading your sick bull. I look deeper you can't even realize. :> Btw. you "both" match to troll definition.
          Last edited by kraftman; 26 September 2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Kraftman,
            Maybe yotambien and I are the same person?

Anyway, please let us stop this and respect Blackstar. He has a very valid comment, let us go on topic. If someone wants to discuss Linus T claim that Linux is bloated, or any other links I have posted here, feel free to PM me or to start a thread. If you start a thread, post the name of the thread here so I know, please.

On Topic. I have actually never tried to patch Linux kernel. Are there any easy instructions how to apply Con's patches on the net? Has anyone else tried Cons BFS? How is it? What is your impression?

Comment

Kraftman,
              Maybe yotambien and I are the same person?

Anyway, please let us stop this and respect Blackstar. He has a very valid comment, let us go on topic. If someone wants to discuss Linus T claim that Linux is bloated, or any other links I have posted here, feel free to PM me or to start a thread. If you start a thread, post the name of the thread here so I know, please.
              Who knows As you wish

Comment

The claim that the kernel itself is 11Mloc and comparing it to NT's 10Mloc is comparing apples to grapefruits. NT's codebase is almost purely KERNEL code. Linux' codebase is nearly half drivers. Taking an aggressive position on bloat and using that comparison can look like FUD or Trolling and it's been a game of the people who DO that thing in the MS camp.

This is interesting. Can you back up your claims? If it is true that half of Linux 11 MloC is drivers, then it is not as bad as I thought. And NTs codebase of 10MloC is almost purely Kernel code? Can you back that up?
                http://www.techworld.com.au/article/...er_code_climbs
                It actually says that while for a while the amount of drivers in kernel code and the amount of everything else was 50-50, after 2.6.27 the drivers share became over 60% and from 2.6.30-2.6.31 specifically, it became 76% for drivers+firmware.
                Now, if you combine the above link with that one http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08...opment_report/ which (including others) it says that kernel-2.6.11 had 6.6 millions of lines while kernel-2.6.30 had 11.6 millions, it's easy to understand the amount of millions of code that belongs exclusively to drivers.

Also, with kernel-2.6.31 Linux became the first OS which supports USB-3.0. Do you think this is a matter of a few dozens of lines? Now, if the adoption of the latest technology is considered a bloat, then I'd prefer to use the most bloated system ever.

Is it now as bad as you thought? (your words)
                I just posted links as you do as well and one of the two was Torvalds' words.
                But do you know what the weird thing is? I needed much more time to make this post rather than find the above links. So I'm sure you could find them as easy if you wanted. Maybe you just didn't intent to?

edited Very interesting link whowriteslinux.pdf
                edited again 2.6.32-rc1 67% drivers and 10% firmware. Even higher than the previous one...
                I hope to be abvious now that the vast amount of Linux kernel is consistent from drivers. Like this, I hope one day to catch the 30 millions of lines!

And for last time coz I was bored... 2.6.27
                Programs like SLOCCount can be used to inspect the Linux kernel's source code in more detail. According to this tool, the source code line count is not 9 million but exactly 6,399,191 (Source Lines of Code/SLOC), as the program doesn't count blank lines, comments and several other types of input. More than half of the lines are part of hardware drivers; the second largest chunk is the arch/ directory which contains the source code of the various architectures supported by Linux.

So, if more than 50% of kernel-2.6.27 are drivers and after 2.6.27 the added drivers were over 60% and 76% and 77% for the last two releases, with combination that the latest kernels add more lines than the previous ones and with combination with the fact that the second largest part belongs to arch with the 50+ architectures which Linux supports, then I think we can say that drivers+arch consist more than 70% of Linux kernel!

I hope that's enough!
                Last edited by Apopas; 28 September 2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Back on topic

I tried to aply the BFS patch in 2.6.31.1 but I'm getting this:
                  gentoo linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r1 # patch -p1 < 2.6.31-sched-bfs-240.patch
                  patching file Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt
                  patching file fs/pipe.c
                  patching file include/linux/init_task.h
                  patching file include/linux/sched.h
                  patching file kernel/sched.c
                  patching file kernel/sysctl.c
                  Hunk #3 succeeded at 259 (offset 18 lines).
                  Hunk #4 succeeded at 692 (offset 18 lines).
                  patching file kernel/workqueue.c
                  patching file kernel/sched_fair.c
                  patching file kernel/sched_idletask.c
                  patching file kernel/sched_rt.c
                  patching file kernel/sched_bfs.c
                  patching file kernel/Makefile
                  patching file kernel/kthread.c
                  patching file kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c
                  patching file kernel/exit.c
                  patching file kernel/fork.c
                  patching file mm/oom_kill.c
                  patching file init/Kconfig
                  patching file kernel/delayacct.c
                  patching file kernel/trace/trace.c
                  patching file fs/proc/base.c
                  patching file kernel/sched_debug.c
                  patching file include/linux/ioprio.h
                  patching file Makefile
                  Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
                  1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej
                  patching file kernel/Kconfig.preempt
                  patching file kernel/timer.c
                  Any idea what's going wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Back on topic

I tried to aply the BFS patch in 2.6.31.1 but I'm getting this:

Any idea what's going wrong?
                    Well I'd suggest you to take a look at Makefile.rej and if you can't make any sense of it yourself pastebin it and post it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                      Well I'd suggest you to take a look at Makefile.rej and if you can't make any sense of it yourself pastebin it and post it here.
                      Here it is:
                      *** 1,7 ****
                      VERSION = 2
                      PATCHLEVEL = 6
                      SUBLEVEL = 31
                      - EXTRAVERSION =
                      NAME = Man-Eating Seals of Antiquity

# *DOCUMENTATION*
                      --- 1,7 ----
                      VERSION = 2
                      PATCHLEVEL = 6
                      SUBLEVEL = 31