Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Eyefinity 24 Display Tech Demo On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Eyefinity 24 Display Tech Demo On Linux

Today AMD issued a press release that they have "demonstrated the PC's next act" with the unveiling of their ATI Eyefinity multi-display technology. This technology, to be found on their next-generation R800 series hardware, allow "up to 12 times 1080p high-definition resolution, which approaches eye-definition optical clarity." Well, what does that mean? Just watch the video below...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder whether in the future, this can be coupled with DisplayPort 1.2 multiple streams (which allows daisy-chaining of up to 4 displays). That would allow up to 4 Cards * 6 Outputs/Card * 4 Displays/Output = 96 displays connected to a single computer.

Comment

I think it is good that AMD addressed this problem.

2 monitors per gfx card simply isn't enough

I'd like to see how it booted. How do you go from the one master port to 24?

Comment

It's amazing what you can do when you have access to the source code and you can modify it however you wish.
        I wonder what Earth would be like if the majority went down the open source path ten years ago? Probably a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
          I wonder what Earth would be like if the majority went down the open source path ten years ago? Probably a lot better.
          Probably a few decades behind

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            I think you are thinking of Windows.

What do domestic abuse victims and Windows users have in common??
            They keep going back.
            At least the Domestic abuse victims don't have to pay money.

Comment

Does this mean we may be seeing GPU-accelerated HD video playback in Linux coming relatively soon for ATI cards?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                If the majority went down the open source path? You're 10^30 wrong here!

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  If the majority went down the open source path? You're 10^30 wrong here!
                  anyone else notice that a couple times there would be a little bit of desync/warping across quadrants?

Guessing that it's not quite smoothed out yet.

Of course as cool as this is, there's no way someone like me (or most people, I'd assume) could afford a setup like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
                    anyone else notice that a couple times there would be a little bit of desync/warping across quadrants?

Guessing that it's not quite smoothed out yet.

Of course as cool as this is, there's no way someone like me (or most people, I'd assume) could afford a setup like that.

Say the machine costs $1K + 6 x $250 a card + 24 * $200 a monitor (easily 21") = $7300
                    Say $200 for aluminum piping to create a literal rig and you are looking at $7500.

Depending where you live, that might be cheaper than the cheapest new car you purchase or the cost of tuition for half a year in University. Given what you get with this rig, it might be worth it... mundane things like Google Maps directions will NEVER be the same

Comment

Working...
                    X