Eyefinity on open source drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyefinity on open source drivers?

I was just looking at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635) about the new multi-monitor features in the next generation cards. Apart from the nerdgasm over making an ?bergeek desktop out of this, this part about Single Large Surface caught my eye:

"AMD's software makes the displays appear as one. This will work in Vista, Windows 7 as well as Linux."

Since the cat is officially out of the bag on this now, you can see the screenshot from Catalyst but is this feature coming to the open source drivers too?

No promises, but we believe this will be fairly easy to support in the open source drivers.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Kjella View Post
      I was just looking at Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3635) about the new multi-monitor features in the next generation cards. Apart from the nerdgasm over making an ?bergeek desktop out of this, this part about Single Large Surface caught my eye:

"AMD's software makes the displays appear as one. This will work in Vista, Windows 7 as well as Linux."
      To feed your tech-envy the 24 monitor setup below was under Linux.

4-GPU 1 head per GPU, with RANDR based bezel correction. All on a single machine. X-Plane was the sim. Each 3x2 quadrant was 6500x2500 (ish).

We can switch on Xinerama, but some of the quirks with Xinerama burn through memory unbelievably fast when you have 13000x5000 as a single display.
      Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Wow- that looks amazing- congrats to AMD for an awesome achievement here.

Comment

Cool concept but I've never liked having the bezel grid. I'd never play a game like that.

Comment

Got Docs?

Sweet.

Now we just need AMD to hurry up and release the r800 documentation!

Comment

Well, first we need to *write* the documentation
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Well, first we need to *write* the documentation
                Now we just need AMD to hurry up and write the r800 documentation!

Comment

Write the driver before, then write and release the doc.

Otherwise, about the 13000x5000 resolution: it strikes me that we're approaching various 16-bits limits in X11 fast. I wonder what'll be the way forward to overcome them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier View Post
                    Write the driver before, then write and release the doc.

Otherwise, about the 13000x5000 resolution: it strikes me that we're approaching various 16-bits limits in X11 fast. I wonder what'll be the way forward to overcome them ?
                    overwrite every 16 with a 32 and hope for the best

Comment

Working...
                    X