Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 2.6.31 Kernel Released, With ATI KMS Glory

Phoronix: Linux 2.6.31 Kernel Released, With ATI KMS Glory

It's arriving a few days later than anticipated, but the Linux 2.6.31 kernel has now been released. The Linux 2.6.31 kernel brings ATI Radeon kernel mode-setting support up through the R500 series (the R600/700 KMS and 3D support is coming with Linux 2.6.32), many other graphics / DRM improvements (including Intel DisplayPort and Clarkdale / Arrandale support), a performance counters infrastructure, USB 3.0 support, and many more changes. The Linus Torvalds release announcement for the Linux 2.6.31 kernel can be read on the Linux kernel mailing list while a more exhaustive list of changes can be found at KernelNewbies.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least the intel onboard drm bug was fixed before release, without kms even a vt switch crashed the system. Errors like that should be really fixed much faster - even when they are not triggered when you use kms (only with suspend it seems).

Comment

And almost 4 years to the day, we finally have x-fi support. Time for Creative to release a new apu to start the cycle all over again.

Comment

the R600/700 KMS and 3D support is coming with Linux 2.6.32
        Isn't 3D support going into mainline and KMS going into staging, or did I misread that whole bit of news?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          And almost 4 years to the day, we finally have x-fi support. Time for Creative to release a new apu to start the cycle all over again.
          The solution is easy, don't buy x-fi cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            The solution is easy, don't buy x-fi cards.
            Well I had to use that gift certificate on something, figured I'd see what all the hulaballoo was about. Upon evaluation of said X-Fi, the Auzentech X-Meridian promptly went back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
              Isn't 3D support going into mainline and KMS going into staging, or did I misread that whole bit of news?
              Yep, I think that's the plan. KMS for 6xx/7xx is quite new.
              Last edited by bridgman; 10 September 2009, 12:51 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Yep, I think that's the plan. KMS for 6xx/7xx is quite new.
                Is that true for R1xx-R5xx KMS as well, or is it leaving staging?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Is that true for R1xx-R5xx KMS as well, or is it leaving staging?
                  From Kernel Newbies

1.4. ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Setting support

This version adds Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) support for ATI Radeon. Hardware supported is R1XX,R2XX,R3XX,R4XX,R5XX (radeon up to X1950). Works is underway to provide support for R6XX, R7XX and newer hardware (radeon from HD2XXX to HD4XXX).
                  Although, I am not sure if it is running by default, because I don't see any mention of "KMS" in the xorg logs.
                  Last edited by sundown; 10 September 2009, 07:58 AM.

Comment

for the impatient people awaiting r600/r700 kms : you can try http://git.zen-sources.org/?p=zen.git;a=summary

this kernel has lots of goodies over the mainline, including current drm-next branch integrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X