M$ FUD "of the year"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M$ FUD "of the year"

This post is being called the M$ FUD of the year, but it seems rather banal considering the things M$ has done in the past. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Original thread
    Mirror

nothing new. Certainly the EU has a ridiculous law that we can use to rob MS now, dont they

Honestly, how do we counter-attack :P

Comment

Ya there is some FUD in there but he doesn't exactly refute claims with 100% truth himself.

No iPod support? Really? And the Zune doesn't work on the Mac either although there has been some progress from the Linux community. And I've never had any problems pulling pictures from cameras.
      When it comes to iPod support, really only older iPods are supported without jailbreaking the iPod. Not sure what OS X not being able to use the Zune has anything to do with Win 7 compatibility.

I've yet to see a printer that doesn't have a driver. You might have to download it from the products website though (gasp!).
      He really hasn't looked all that hard. There are still quite a few consumer printers out there that have no linux support, some require purchasing of drivers (turboprint) and many printers out there do not have the same output in linux as they do with windows or OS X. On brother laser printers for example dithering is absolute shit on linux.

SANE doesn't exactly work with many scanners as well.

Games, ya they picked the wrong example, it does work fine in wine but otherwise the statement is true. It's a real hit or miss if wine is able to run a game or not.

As far as authorized support goes in linux for consumers that is usually limited to base installation and that's about it.

As far as video chat goes he doesn't exactly take on the question head on. Ya pidgin supports video chat on some of the major networks but not all.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        nothing new. Certainly the EU has a ridiculous law that we can use to rob MS now, dont they

Honestly, how do we counter-attack :P
        Someone attacks when he feels threatened

Comment

not L33F3R, L33F3R attacks when he's bored

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
            not L33F3R, L33F3R attacks when he's bored
            No, no I thought about community

Comment

Actually there's one bit in that whole paper I regard true and it's the one about updates. There can easily be so many that an average user will not read what is being updated. Thus they might not learn to be cautious with the updates. (Linux traditionally has a very back rollback ability with updates, would need to be some kind of filesystem level COW backups probably, and if you do an update that has a bug, the OS won't start; I'm not saying Windows does this well either but Linux could do it way way better than it does)

Comment

you are prolly right. But windows update as a whole is still a POS.

Comment

This is actually why I'm so interested about that RHEL's idea of liblvm. Having yum and apt use that would probably give means for very interesting solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Actually there's one bit in that whole paper I regard true and it's the one about updates. There can easily be so many that an average user will not read what is being updated. Thus they might not learn to be cautious with the updates. (Linux traditionally has a very back rollback ability with updates, would need to be some kind of filesystem level COW backups probably, and if you do an update that has a bug, the OS won't start; I'm not saying Windows does this well either but Linux could do it way way better than it does)
                    opensolaris does just that; i.e. create a new zfs snapshot for every update. once brtfs has stabilized, linux distros may do the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X