Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test Out The New Intel, NVIDIA, ATI Linux Drivers

Phoronix: Test Out The New Intel, NVIDIA, ATI Linux Drivers

As part of their usual roundabout with pushing the latest X.Org, kernel, and Mesa code into Fedora before each new release, for the next three days Red Hat is holding testing sessions focused on the open-source ATI/AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel graphics drivers, respectively. To make for an easy process even for those that may not be active Fedora users, there are Rawhide LiveCD images (in x86 and x86_64 flavors) that were spun last night by Red Hat's Adam Williamson...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those ISO images are interesting, i even tried em on my hardware, but basically i wanted to try Quake Live as well, but Firefox always crashed with ATI 3450 and Intel Q45. I do not consider glxgears/compiz as a complete test case.

Also for a TEST image is it really stupid to disable ctrl+alt+backspace. I needed to use ctrl-alt-f2 and then

killall Xorg

to recover from a non working openarena session - which did never for run for me... Maybe some tricks are needed for that.

All in all the images are really disappointing for me. I do not use Fedora usally, some Fedora errors are really annoying. Network-Manager crashed when configuring a static ip (luckily i know how to do that manually), bash-completion is not preinstalled and even with it enabled yum install does not autocomplete packagenames. That's way behind Debian.

Comment

Turning on Compiz with my 200M locks the whole computer. Always had issues with this chip and Fedora releases for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Those ISO images are interesting, i even tried em on my hardware, but basically i wanted to try Quake Live as well, but Firefox always crashed with ATI 3450 and Intel Q45. I do not consider glxgears/compiz as a complete test case.

Also for a TEST image is it really stupid to disable ctrl+alt+backspace. I needed to use ctrl-alt-f2 and then

killall Xorg

to recover from a non working openarena session - which did never for run for me... Maybe some tricks are needed for that.

All in all the images are really disappointing for me. I do not use Fedora usally, some Fedora errors are really annoying. Network-Manager crashed when configuring a static ip (luckily i know how to do that manually), bash-completion is not preinstalled and even with it enabled yum install does not autocomplete packagenames. That's way behind Debian.
        Try telinit 3; telinit 5
        Or find the service in /etc/init.d and restart it

Comment

Working...
        X