Is My CPU capable of being overclocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My CPU capable of being overclocked

Hey, I have a intel E5200 2.5ghz cpu. Im going to upgrade to a quad a core in a couple months, so i was wondering if its safe for me to overclock my current cpu. It idles around 37C and when on load goes to about 47C. I was thinking about overclocking to 3.5ghz, will that keep my temps under 60C. What do you think, should I go for it and overclock it? Will it be safe? (I do plan on using my e5200 for older pc, after getting my quad, so yes I do want it to last for a while). Thanks.

Niro

Just give it a try. Even if it doesn't OC so well it wont break immediately because of that. :P
    Just do it in little steps and monitor temp.

I got a E6600 with 2.4 Ghz which I occasionally oc to 3 Ghz (for KDE upgrages for example). A E5200 iirc stays cooler, so I guess you should be able to get more than 3 Ghz easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      Just give it a try. Even if it doesn't OC so well it wont break immediately because of that. :P
      Just do it in little steps and monitor temp.

I got a E6600 with 2.4 Ghz which I occasionally oc to 3 Ghz (for KDE upgrages for example). A E5200 iirc stays cooler, so I guess you should be able to get more than 3 Ghz easily.
      Ok im just doing a bit more research, I will do it soon thanks for reply. If anyone else can help would be great. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Niro View Post
        Ok im just doing a bit more research, I will do it soon thanks for reply. If anyone else can help would be great. Thanks again.
        If your going to overclock your cpu, i would suggest you get it stable
        under windows xp by using prime 95 /orthos. The linux file system is more likelyto become corrupted in an overclocked system

My cpu could run cpu burn for hours(q6600) but the file system ended up corrupted 6 months later opening files in nautilus degraded and took
        ages with the corruption being a slow process. I think this is because i added more ram...which changed voltage requirements.

REMEMBER if you upgrade ram or video card at a later date you will
        have to run these tests again as they will strain the north an southbridge of your motherboard and voltage adjustments will be needed.
        pay attention to actual voltage of sensors rather than what you set it to.

many over clockers recommend you run orthos and an prime 95 for 24 hours
        for true stability under windows. mine passed this to...

In my experience the best program for windows is hotcpu a retail product.
        But if you are after freeware try intelburn. This really tortures your cpu. I think it is used in the intel factory it is freely available and is a fairly quick test, many people are scared to run this as cpu reaches temps upto 20c higher than prime 95.
        It also is available for linux... but beware of file corruption.
        I keep a small windows partition for my overclocking...

Should be a fairly easy overclock with a dual core with to slots of ram filled.
        GOOD LUCK...

Comment

Ok i tried overclocking changed voltage change it to 3.5ghz. When i exit the bios by saving, the computer restarts. Then it shuts down again. Its starts then shutsdown in like 2 seconds. And continues this process, until i manually switch the power off from powersupply. Any idea why this is happening?

Comment

Maybe 3.5 GHz is too much. Try going up a bit at a time from stock and confirming operation at each new higher frequency.
            Test signature

Comment

Yea I just tried changing the voltages its at 1.3v now. Running Orthos right now, its been 8 minutes -.-. But so far its good its going cool no blue screan yet ... temps reached 56C, and its staying there for now.

Comment

Well of course there's no blue screen... that's only for crap like Windows

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                  Well of course there's no blue screen... that's only for crap like Windows
                  lol i am using windows (windows xp sp3)

Comment

Do you guys think running orthos for 12 hours will determine if the cpu is stable after overclock?

Comment

Working...
                    X