No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.32 To Get R600 KMS Along With 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that would be sweet if .32 kernel could get out before OS 11.2 dont think it will hit for Ubuntu, they can be stodgy about kernels released while in beta mode!

if only 3d gets good enough for AMD to throw there wait behind the open source and develop that hand in hand and dropping fglrx, or the open source driver gets good enough from bits to replace propriety code and then Fglrx can be relased under GNU.

then I can get into my hovercar and fly to the moon to the weekend home in a biosphere.........

Comment

Excellent news.

Comment

oh f*** yeah! Can't wait for that merge window to open!

Comment

I'm kind of confused with the time line. Would some one point when will r300-r500 KMS going to be set to default for a kernel?

Comment

Most prominently, this new DRM code brings support for kernel mode-setting with R600 class hardware as well as 3D support
            hmm I thought 3d support is possible with 2.6.31 kernel right now? Or are this then backports/distro patches that makes this work for this kernel version?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              hmm I thought 3d support is possible with 2.6.31 kernel right now? Or are this then backports/distro patches that makes this work for this kernel version?
              One thing for sure is it's not backports. Newest kernel is 2.6.31.rc9 (not .32), so u can narrow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                Right now for 6xx/7xx 3D you need drm code from agd5f's drm repository, r6xx-r7xx-3d branch. The mesa code has already been merged to master.

As of 2.6.32, you won't need any special trees for 6xx/7xx 3D.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Right now for 6xx/7xx 3D you need drm code from agd5f's drm repository
                  Or alternatively airlied's kernel repo, drm-next branch?

Comment

rv730 happiness in F12?

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                    Only if you are on f12
                    So does this mean that F12 will support DRI2 and OpenGL for rv730 chips without having to resort to fglrx? I have a curious laptop/docking station combo that contains both a V5250 IGP and an HD4650 PCIe card, which is currently stuck using F10. However, since F10 will probably stop being supported once F12 is released, I strongly suspect that I will finally have to upgrade the laptop to F12. And that will mean "Bye bye, fglrx; hello, Mesa!" again for the purposes of playing WoW.

Should I expect storms on the horizon...?

Cheers,
                    Chris

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      Or alternatively airlied's kernel repo, drm-next branch?
                      Yep, as of the last day or two that's probably the way to go.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X