No announcement yet.

R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A make install should copy it for you. And modprobe radeon should load it.

What I still haven't managed is to get it loaded when radeon is built-in. The boot process simply stops. If, as nanonyme says, an initrd is necessary, I'll pass for now. I've had bad experiences with initrds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
      Ok, I got it working. I just needed this patch to solve the second issue.
      Nice catch. The timeout variable (and the whole initialization block) is not actually needed, probably it's a copy&paste error.

Comment

What I still haven't managed is to get it loaded when radeon is built-in. The boot process simply stops. If, as nanonyme says, an initrd is necessary, I'll pass for now. I've had bad experiences with initrds.
        Originally me too but after having used them on Fedora for a year or so I've gotten used to them. They're not that bad, really.

Comment

Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
          Nice catch. The timeout variable (and the whole initialization block) is not actually needed, probably it's a copy&paste error.
          Credit to taiu from irc

Comment

Ok, I got it working. I just needed this patch to solve the second issue.
            The patch seems to be truncated on pastebin, I guess it should look like this -

Code:
            diff --git a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c
            index 01a8963..7ec9d0d 100644
            --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c
            +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon_fence.c
            @@ -190,7 +190,7 @@ int r600_fence_wait(struct radeon_fence *fence,  bool intr, bool lazy)
                            if (radeon_fence_signaled(fence))
                                    break;

-               if (time_after_eq(jiffies, timeout)) {
            +               if (time_after_eq(jiffies, fence->timeout)) {
                                    ret = -EBUSY;
                                    break;
                            }

Comment

A make install should copy it for you. And modprobe radeon should load it.

strangely for me it only worked twice but with massive horizontal corruption

after that it always says: "acceleration not initialized"

or something similar - it just disables it

do you have vesafb enabled ? does compiz / kwin work for you ? you see no corruption ?

I'm looking right what's causing this trouble ...

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                do you have vesafb enabled ? does compiz / kwin work for you ? you see no corruption ?
                The drm provides the fb device. DON'T use vesafb or vgafb or radeonfb, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  The drm provides the fb device. DON'T use vesafb or vgafb or radeonfb, etc.
                  yeah, you're right I re-compiled the kernel, unselected uvesafb, let vesafb enabled and removed the video=vesafb line from menu.lst and drm took over my screen

wonderful 1920x1200 framebuffer and blazing fast !

thanks !

some impressions:

1) KMS doesn't seem to work (yet) when X is started with user privileges: the result is a black screen. my use-profile is in the video and games group, permissions shouldn't be a problem (0666)

2) glxgears is NOT a benchmark but the driver with KMS seems to be somewhat slower than without

3) it's really really fragile: whenever I try to start certain apps (I'll see which they are) X crashes and reloads gdm from what I saw it's related to exa sofar ...

at least it's stable enough to provide basic X with blackbox and firefox-bin (32bit firefox-binary from mozilla.org) that's the environment I'm posting from right now

error message was:

Backtrace:
                  0: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xorg_backtrace+0x3d) [0x7f419700c09d]
                  1: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0xfd) [0x7f4196f8b27d]
                  2: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7f4194d7a470]
                  3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//radeon_drv.so [0x7f419333a546]
                  4: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libexa.so [0x7f4192c16b93]
                  5: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libexa.so [0x7f4192c175ce]
                  6: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x7f419706d9e4]
                  7: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules//libexa.so(exaGlyphs+0x2a9) [0x7f4192c18999]
                  8: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x7f419706cea5]
                  9: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x7f41970633b7]
                  10: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(Dispatch+0x34d) [0x7f4196f3597d]
                  11: /usr/X11R6/bin/X(main+0x43a) [0x7f4196f13e7a]
                  12: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f4194d65a0d]
                  13: /usr/X11R6/bin/X [0x7f4196f13169]
                  edit:

here's a link to the Xorg.log:

http://pastebin.com/m679d5fdf

the best news is that it doesn't hardlock my box when crashing X !

it was nice to see how much the drivers and the whole framework have already progressed but now I need some serious work to do

thanks & please keep up your great work !

it seems like the most important part following now would be bug-fixing and reporting bugs ?
                  Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 08 September 2009, 05:33 PM.

Comment

KMS works for me, but X gives me a black screen, and it doesn't look like I can get back to a terminal.

Does DRM need to be a module? I built it into the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                      Does DRM need to be a module?
                      No, it works built-in. I gave it a try by including the firmware blobs in the kernel binary and it boots (and X starts).

@kernelOfTruth: those crashes are there for me too. They happen with fluxbox and vboxgtk. (edit) More specifically, it happens in vboxgtk when I move the mouse cursor over the GtkTreeView with the VMs. Weird.
                      Last edited by Fran; 09 September 2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X