R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
    No reason to be sorry, I wanted to address everybody in general but didn't want to make a separate post and failed to express this better.
    Recipe for KMS on HD3650 (RV635). Add radeon.modeset=1 to boot-line. After garbage occurs on the screen wait until disk is idle and then go to tty1 and restart gdm. It works, at least now, with today's 2.6.32-999-general. Glxgears love it and gtkperf not. But it feels somehow better, I'm not able to express it well in words. Everything is tighter, crisper and better put together...
    (of course, AutoLogin must be enabled to do this, otherwise You won't be able to login ... Or, maybe, You could, I did not try it...)
    Last edited by zika; 02 October 2009, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• I built the 2.6.32-rc1 kernel and then installed Xserver, mesa, and ddx from the xorg edgers ppa. Looks like it's all working fine. The one problem I had is that fbcon wasn't loaded by default, (and I don't run gdm, just boot to a tty) so I lost my console when I loaded the radeon module with modeset=1. But modprobe fbcon took care of that. (HP dv5z laptop, HD3450 gpu.)

Comment

• Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
        I built the 2.6.32-rc1 kernel and then installed Xserver, mesa, and ddx from the xorg edgers ppa.
        Any particular reason you built the kernel instead of grabbing it from the mainline kernel PPA?

Comment

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
          Any particular reason you built the kernel instead of grabbing it from the mainline kernel PPA?
          I'm testing a few other things too, it's just easier to have my own build tree for the various patches. (I have a patched k8temp for my AMD family11 CPU, various patches for the ath9k wifi driver, ACPI patches, custom DSDT, a couple other things...)

Comment

I built the 2.6.32-rc1 kernel and then installed Xserver, mesa, and ddx from the xorg edgers ppa. Looks like it's all working fine. The one problem I had is that fbcon wasn't loaded by default, (and I don't run gdm, just boot to a tty) so I lost my console when I loaded the radeon module with modeset=1. But modprobe fbcon took care of that. (HP dv5z laptop, HD3450 gpu.)
            What is the benefit of not having gdm? I tried that some time ago but did not get any considerable gain ...

Comment

• Originally posted by zika View Post
              What is the benefit of not having gdm? I tried that some time ago but did not get any considerable gain ...
              Typically at least 1GB of free RAM. (I.e., running just from a single VT, or using screen on the VT, instead of starting X.) For large compiles and such it's the difference between running entirely in RAM or hitting swap. I don't like slow compiles.

Comment

Typically at least 1GB of free RAM. (I.e., running just from a single VT, or using screen on the VT, instead of starting X.) For large compiles and such it's the difference between running entirely in RAM or hitting swap. I don't like slow compiles.
                Oh, I see, You do not start X ... Nobody love slow compiles ... That reminded me of the great time I had with DESQview at the very beginning of Windows ... I thought that I'll never touch Windows and once I did I dreamed of having X ... The rest is Ubuntu.
                Last edited by zika; 03 October 2009, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• This week I was poking at using directfb as a backend for MGR. (I just discovered that the last time I hacked on MGR was around 19-20 years ago. I didn't even have it on my systems any more, had to google to find a copy...) Unfortunately directfb has no support for R600. Still I can probably get it working on my older laptop with Mobility Radeon 9700... I may also be able to get it working with omapfb on my TouchBook, and even cooler would be to get it running on my G1 phone but I haven't looked at its graphics driver yet. It would be nice if there was just one single place to look for a blit implementation for all known video hardware.
                  Last edited by highlandsun; 03 October 2009, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Lucid testing and ppa:xorg-edgers ...

What is the suggested action for resolving this problem with ppa:xorg-edgers:
                    Code:
                    ~$ sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
                    Reading package lists... Done
                    Building dependency tree       
                    Reading state information... Done
                    Reading extended state information      
                    Initializing package states... Done
                    The following packages have been kept back:
                      xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-intel 
                      xserver-xorg-video-vesa 
                    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
                    Writing extended state information... Done
                    Building dependency tree       

~$ sudo aptitude full-upgrade 
                    Building dependency tree       
                    The following packages are BROKEN:
                      xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati 
                    The following packages will be REMOVED:
                      xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse{a} xserver-xorg-input-wacom{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-apm{a} xserver-xorg-video-ark{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-chips{a} xserver-xorg-video-cirrus{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-fbdev{a} xserver-xorg-video-i128{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-mach64{a} xserver-xorg-video-mga{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-neomagic{a} xserver-xorg-video-nv{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-openchrome{a} xserver-xorg-video-r128{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-radeon{a} xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-rendition{a} xserver-xorg-video-s3{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-s3virge{a} xserver-xorg-video-savage{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion{a} xserver-xorg-video-sis{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-sisusb{a} xserver-xorg-video-tdfx{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-trident{a} xserver-xorg-video-tseng{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-v4l{a} xserver-xorg-video-vmware{a} 
                      xserver-xorg-video-voodoo{a} 
                    The following packages will be upgraded:
                      xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse 
                      xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-video-intel 
                      xserver-xorg-video-vesa 
                    6 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 29 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                    Need to get 3,256kB of archives. After unpacking 8,577kB will be freed.
                    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                      xserver-xorg-video-all: Depends: xserver-xorg-video-apm but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-ark but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-chips but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-cirrus but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-fbdev but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-i128 but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-mga but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-neomagic but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-nv but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-rendition but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-s3 but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-s3virge but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-savage but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-sis but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-sisusb but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-tdfx but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-trident but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-tseng but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-openchrome but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-voodoo but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-v4l but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-vmware but it is not installable
                      xserver-xorg-video-ati: Depends: xserver-xorg-video-r128 but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-mach64 but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-video-radeon but it is not installable
                      xserver-xorg-input-all: Depends: xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse but it is not installable
                                              Depends: xserver-xorg-input-wacom but it is not installable
                    The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
                    xserver-xorg-input-all
                    xserver-xorg-video-all

Keep the following packages at their current version:
                    xserver-xorg-core
                    [2:1.6.5+git20091107+server-1.6-branch.2dbcb06a-0ubuntu0sarvatt~karmic (now)]
                    xserver-xorg-input-evdev [1:2.3.0+git20091107.a0f7f34d-0ubuntu0sarvatt4~karmic
                    (now)]
                    xserver-xorg-input-mouse [1:1.4.0-4 (lucid, now)]
                    xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
                    [1:1.2.0+git20091107.e6b1a4ef-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~karmic (now)]
                    xserver-xorg-input-wacom [1:0.8.4.1-0ubuntu4 (lucid, now)]
                    xserver-xorg-video-intel [2:2.9.0+git20091106.dbb68168-0ubuntu0tormod (now)]
                    xserver-xorg-video-mach64 [6.8.2-1 (lucid, now)]
                    xserver-xorg-video-r128 [6.8.1-1 (lucid, now)]
                    xserver-xorg-video-radeon [1:6.12.99+git20091109.0ee7763f-0ubuntu0sarvatt
                    (lucid, now)]
                    xserver-xorg-video-vesa [1:2.2.1-1 (lucid, now)]

Score is 832

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
                    Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.
                    Abort.
                    ...? Should I uninstall recommended packages or wait ... ?
                    Last edited by zika; 11 November 2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zika View Post
                      What is the suggested action for resolving this problem with ppa:xorg-edgers
                      xorg-edgers for lucid is under construction, please just wait until we open it for general consumption

Comment

Working...
                      X