R600/r700 kms + 3d dri1/dri2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is the time to migrate...

Great work, devs! I'm eagerly awaiting the 3D fixes and powersaving options now.

Comment

Not much success here.

With the radeon module built in it dies looking for firmware. With the firmware built in too it gets far enough to type "startx" if I'm lucky, but at that point the screen switches off though I can still reboot with sysrq. With radeon.modeset=0 I can get to the desktop, but glxgears makes the screen switch off and hard-freezes the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
        Not much success here.

With the radeon module built in it dies looking for firmware. With the firmware built in too it gets far enough to type "startx" if I'm lucky, but at that point the screen switches off though I can still reboot with sysrq. With radeon.modeset=0 I can get to the desktop, but glxgears makes the screen switch off and hard-freezes the machine.
        Make sure you grab the latest updates to Dave's drm-next kernel branch. Sounds like you are hitting bugs that are already fixed.

Comment

Any plans to merge this over to the freedesktop.org drm repository soon? what kernel does it actually correspond to, something post 2.6.31?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            That said, I am *still* surprised how well it all came together.
            It doesn't happen that often in a career, does it ?

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
              Any plans to merge this over to the freedesktop.org drm repository soon? what kernel does it actually correspond to, something post 2.6.31?
              The only plans I've heard have been about killing off the freedesktop.org DRM repositories in regard to kernel modules and have code pushed straight into Linux kernel development trees.

Comment

Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
                airlied's git tree is 2.6.31-rc9 (last I checked). I merged Linus's tree into my local repo so I have plain old .31.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  IIRC agd5f mentioned that the compiz text-input corruption does not happen with dri2.
                  thanks for that "confirmation"

I just wanted to be sure that I'll get a corruption-free composited desktop,

so I'll probably switch during the next weeks from fglrx 9.10(ubuntu-version ) to xf86-video-ati with KMS

Comment

Just pulled from airlied's drm-next branch about 30 minutes ago. And I'm still getting a blank screen when X starts with KMS. I get the high res framebuffer so I know KMS does work. If I disable KMS, X starts just fine.

I finally decided to ssh into my machine and check out the xorg log.

Here is a pastebin of Xorg.0.log:
                    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Edit:
                    Here are the errors:
                    (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
                    (EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed

And the warnings:
                    (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
                    (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

I only get those errors on KMS, 3D and everything works fine without it.
                    Last edited by pvtcupcakes; 16 September 2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                      Just pulled from airlied's drm-next branch about 30 minutes ago. And I'm still getting a blank screen when X starts with KMS. I get the high res framebuffer so I know KMS does work. If I disable KMS, X starts just fine.

I finally decided to ssh into my machine and check out the xorg log.

Here is a pastebin of Xorg.0.log:
                      Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Edit:
                      Here are the errors:
                      (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed because of a version mismatch.
                      (EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed

And the warnings:
                      (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
                      (WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled

I only get those errors on KMS, 3D and everything works fine without it.
                      you built it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X