Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first thing you do with a new board is updateing the BIOS

Comment

Thanks, I have updated the BIOS to the latest ver. Still no luck, everything remains the same. Anything else to be checked?

Comment

Hmm I was looking at buying an i5, I'm not sure if that's a good idea now. From the "Another Look At Intel's Lynnfield Linux Performance" article, it looks like BIOS upgrades may solve some problems. I'm looking at getting a Gigabyte motherboard, what are people's opinion on them?

Comment

Originally posted by ad_267 View Post
          Hmm I was looking at buying an i5, I'm not sure if that's a good idea now. From the "Another Look At Intel's Lynnfield Linux Performance" article, it looks like BIOS upgrades may solve some problems. I'm looking at getting a Gigabyte motherboard, what are people's opinion on them?
          I'm pretty sure you would not need a BIOS upgrade. The articles made it sound like Michael was given a motherboard with early beta BIOS whereas motherboards you can buy now are shipping with fixed BIOS.

Here's what I'm talking about:
          Originally posted by [url=http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_lynnfield_add&num =1]Another Look At Intel's Lynnfield Linux Performance[/url]
          We will be running our own tests using a newer BIOS for the Intel P55 motherboard shortly. With these Intel-provided results, they are using a newer, shipping BIOS and not an older BIOS provided to the press.
          Last edited by StringCheesian; 11 November 2009, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
            I'm pretty sure you would not need a BIOS upgrade. The articles made it sound like Michael was given a motherboard with early beta BIOS whereas motherboards you can buy now are shipping with fixed BIOS.
            Ah ok, thanks for explaining that. I also just read the review of the ECS Elitegroup P55H-A motherboard and there weren't any problems with the i7 except for no LM_sensors support, so it looks like I should be fine with an i5. I'll be getting all the parts on Monday hopefully, so fingers crossed it will all work well.

Comment

i5-750 all cores enabled - problem resolved

Finally the issue is resolved. It was caused by, surprisingly by the USB mouse attached to the system. I found disabling USB legacy support in the BIOS allows the system to boot with all cores enabled. However, this deactivates the keyboard as well till the OS is loaded. Changing the mouse did the trick and it works fine. I didn't find any other problem with that particular optical mouse and use it with my other older systems having Ubuntu and Windows with no problem.

Comment

whats with the total lack of any x264 tests on most I series benches , we always want x264 and ffmpeg tests and results, ALWAYSI SAY....

Comment

Working...
                X