No announcement yet.

Backward compatibility hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little bit of humor: An update to Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP broke the game Halo. Halo still has a platinum rating in Wine

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
      ...Thats my experience of Windows; 95% of the time it 'just works', the other 5% it breaks...
      in my day to day, over these past 10 years of windows usage, its more like 50/50. specially if you REALLY use the system, and mess around with it.

windows gives me nightmares now a days, and i've never met a single soul that had a windows system that never required a "c: format"(usually that is necessary every 6 months, for most -demanding- users).

sometimes, as posted, you just CAN'T fix things, and then there is also the X factor... the unexplained. i wouldn't be surprised if one day a FBI agent came by a certain Redmond HQ and identified himself as Fox Mulder.

windows leaves us in awe most of the time, and linux always gives us a way, a possibility, something... anything(to work with).

if you're searching for reasons why, given all of this, people still program for win... well you should visit professors at the psychology, sociology, and politics department of your nearest university, if they can't give you a hint... well, i give up.

be sure that it has nothing to do with the software, linux is technology, and as such it is ever changing, and ever improving to our GREAT demand, and yes we are demanding. BUT, it still does a better job than any other system i've ever seen around the block, at serving most users out there(and not just a specific few).

most people that i've seen that had the privilege of using linux before using windows, found that other 'thing' to be rather broken, unintuitive and most of the times plain illogical.

i unfortunately used windows for 10 years straight, until i met linux, and never looked back.(i still help the poor souls that enjoy self deprivation however)

best of luck,

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by gforum View Post
        if you're searching for reasons why, given all of this, people still program for win... well you should visit professors at the psychology, sociology, and politics department of your nearest university, if they can't give you a hint... well, i give up.
        I can tell you why- it's no secret. It pays well enough. I get paid more because of my Linux expertise, though...

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          Just a little bit of humor: An update to Internet Explorer 8 in Windows XP broke the game Halo. Halo still has a platinum rating in Wine
          Heh... Nice example of things for this discussion.

Comment

Working...
          X