No announcement yet.

Access by OS to this site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also glance at Phoronix from work from a Windows PC. However, I do have a Fedora VM for "cross platform compatibility testing."

Comment

Originally posted by djack View Post
      I'm one of those forced to use Windows at work but exclusively run Linux at home.
      Same here. I read mostly phoronix when idling at work, where I'm forced to use windows / IE.
      At home, I'm exclusively using Linux / Firefox.

Comment

some of us even use our firewall to rewrite the User-Agent: http header to SAY

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

EVEN when we are using Firefox on opensolaris - because too many webservers are pissy and want to forcefeed you $^@& Flash banner ads rather than show you what you came to see.

Comment

Also visiting from work via WinXP. But the more OS?s the better I say

Comment

Originally posted by NullHead View Post
            I use windows full time.

I do this because, only just recently has the X-Fi drivers been introduced into the kernel. It also doesn't help that the ath9k driver for my wifi card, which is absolutely needed for any internet access, hardly works.

I've noticed both of those things have been fixed and/or improved with Ubuntu's Alpha 5.

I look to move back to Ubuntu after 9.10 is released.
            I'm not sure when you last tried. For me, ath9k support went from non existent about 18 months ago, to working a year ago, to stellar a couple of months back. I have arch linux on 2 netbooks and another dual core core2 quad notebook. The netbooks are constantly used and constantly suspend/resumed. Since early this summer I haven't had a failure to resume.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Seriously though, what on earth are Windows people doing in here? Yes, there's some trolling going around but 40+%?
              Maybe they want to learn something about Linux. I do dual boot sometimes, but I can't say I'm a Windows user

Comment

I'm at gentoo user at home, but at work I browse Phoronix with Windows. It's unfortunate but thats the way it is.

Comment

Linux @ Home, Linux @ Work

Comment

Originally posted by svrocket View Post
                    some of us even use our firewall to rewrite the User-Agent: http header to SAY
                    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
                    Mozilla on one of my Windows PCs claims to be a Mac. I've no idea how or why it got configured that way, but it's a real pain when I go to one of these 'smart' sites where they use the user-agent field to determine what kind of software to download; I don't want Mac software, can't run it and often they don't even give you any way to pick what kind you actually want.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                      Mozilla on one of my Windows PCs claims to be a Mac.
                      a real pain when I go to one of these 'smart' sites where they use the user-agent field to determine what kind of software to download;
                      Hey movieman, that's easy to fix if you don't mind beta software!

First see what you're handing out as your ID card:

Need to know your IP address? We'll show you your IP and location + explain how you can put your IP address to work in Google Analytics.

Second if you are using firefox, here's a cool add-on to modify User-Agent. NOTE that NOT ALL websites use "User-Agent" to determine platform and browser.

User Agent Switcher 0.7.2

But it absolutely fools http://get.adobe.com/reader/ into handing me what I want for download.

Comment

Working...
                      X