Ubuntu 9.10 Gets Unreleased Catalyst 9.10 Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schugy View Post
    Qaridarium, you must be kidding. I've bought my RS690M based Raon Everun Note in February 2009 and laptops are still sold with this chip. You can actually buy brand new hardware without legacy support for new distros.
    Other things like suspend2ram didn't work with Ubuntu 8.1. I won't switch back to older distros and I would be glad to get a working free driver. So far it can't run my games.
    you have 2 options:

1) downgrade to an older kernel

2) try one of those patches floating around to get support for newer kernels (if the driver allows it)

I don't know if 2) works but as a start you could search through phoronix forums or bugs.gentoo.org

good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      I'm not kidding... you also can buy a C64 brand new.. if someone sell one!

But you Can't get linux drivers for your C64 VGA...

o yes wait... AMD pay 3-4 people write an opensource driver ...

AMD sould 'kick' this people because opensource drivers are 'uncool'...

You are kidding!

your solution is only to wait wait for kernel 2.6.32! and wait for the galium3D and OpenGL2 Opensource driver!
      waiting a few weeks (until stuff has somewhat stabilized) and then installing zen-sources should suffice (if you can live with some locks or X crashes from time to time - since it's still very young / new)

still no need to be that offensive towards the devs it was not their decision to drop support for old cards

@bridgman:

weren't you guys supposed to release some kind of legacy driver or was that just some gossip that I heard through the grapevine ?

thanks !
      Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 11 September 2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

That was just gossip you heard through the grapevine

To be precise, for Windows we said that we would release quarterly updates containing only security and other critical fixes (ie no support for new OS versions), only making a release if there *were* critical fixes that quarter, while for Linux we would put effort into improving the open source drivers for pre-6xx instead.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
          waiting a few weeks (until stuff has somewhat stabilized) and then installing zen-sources should suffice (if you can live with some locks or X crashes from time to time - since it's still very young / new)

still no need to be that offensive towards the devs it was not their decision to drop support for old cards

@bridgman:

weren't you guys supposed to release some kind of legacy driver or was that just some gossip that I heard through the grapevine ?

thanks !
          I've been waiting all the time for nVIDIA like support from AMD. Now there's no support for their proprietary drivers and the free drivers aren't yet usuable. + nobody has ever promised that the drivers will be full featured and usable with native games and wine (e.g. can't play nhl2005 with ATI).

Comment

What's the likelihood of seeing a 9.10 beta release for distributions other than Ubuntu? I'd quite like to get rid of this "Unsupported hardware" banner on my shiny new 5870.

Comment

You only need a new /etc/ati/control file. The distribution does not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by GotenXiao View Post
                What's the likelihood of seeing a 9.10 beta release for distributions other than Ubuntu? I'd quite like to get rid of this "Unsupported hardware" banner on my shiny new 5870.
                Oh... you can't say that and not give us any word on performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  To be precise, for Windows we said that we would release quarterly updates containing only security and other critical fixes (ie no support for new OS versions), only making a release if there *were* critical fixes that quarter, while for Linux we would put effort into improving the open source drivers for pre-6xx instead.
                  Sounds like a future-proof solution. The OSS drivers for legacy cards will probably be kept compatible with all future kernels and X.org stack versions anyway so "only" helping the devs with making the drivers more featureful and performant is required.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                    Oh... you can't say that and not give us any word on performance.
                    I made another post on the Radeon HD5850 / 5870 thread with a few results, haven't done a PTS run yet :P
                    Last edited by GotenXiao; 03 October 2009, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X