No announcement yet.

Gallium3D Support For Haiku Operating System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can almost understand why someone might feel attached to Linux and wish to see it succeed on the desktop more so than Haiku - but I recently dropped that attitude when I realised that it's none of my business if people choose to run windows or whatever, providing I don't have to maintain their computer. It wasn't until I actually tried using Haiku that I realised - hey, this thing is pretty good! It doesn't replace Linux at all, so at least as far as I'm concerned, the flaming looks pretty childish. It won't stop me using Slackware or FreeBSD as my own main Desktop since I'm a power-user.. but once Haiku has some productivity apps ported over to it, it makes for a great system for people that:

a) Don't care about the OS and just want to get something done.
    b) Want a system that just does what it needs to do and gets out of the way
    c) Is light, fast and thoroughly threaded for great media performance

..would find it great to use.

Comment

I thoroughly agree with philcostin.

When the userland for Haiku get just a bit stronger (up to date Firefox, Flash support, Open Office etc.) then it will be awesome... It does not replace Linux at all, at least not yet on the Desktop Probably never on the server though the Haiku VM comes with a "Poor Man's web server" which I found funny.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I know what you mean. I'm talking about strict e kernel advantages (like preemption) not features like compiz, some scripts etc.
        No you don't understand... it's the entire modular ecosystem that is not made for each other and strictly tuned because you need choice. That's what is making Linux so strong but also keeps it at a distance. You need distro's to 'fix' the integration model. 'nuff said. Don't get me wrong I use Linux as my primary OS (well not now because of hardware failure, but you get the point) and only installed Haiku in a desktop VM but I know oppertunity and quality when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by DDevine View Post
          MaestroMaus there is no such thing as a "Server grade kernel" - except maybe in Windows where drivers for Windows server have to be inspected and signed off...
          Maybe you noticed the "" marks around the word. That's because I was quoting someone before me...

As for the people who seem to think I am flaming, again: I don't know anything about Haiku and I don't flame on Haiku. I just hate the billions of open source projects who try to achieve the same but take century's because they lack the manpower.

Comment

"albeit the GPU hardware drivers are still lacking" => no real Gallium3D support for Haiku coming...

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              Maybe you noticed the "" marks around the word. That's because I was quoting someone before me...

As for the people who seem to think I am flaming, again: I don't know anything about Haiku and I don't flame on Haiku. I just hate the billions of open source projects who try to achieve the same but take century's because they lack the manpower.
              Well, I don't think you were flaming, my own comment was a rather general one to say that I understand why someone would want Linux to succeed specifically since I've wanted that for the last 14 years or so that I've been using it - just that Haiku is a great no-nonsense OS and looks like it will have a great future on the desktop - the two OSes aren't competing for the same users in my opinion.

Plenty of the reasons that many Windows power users don't like Linux or at least choose not to invest time learning an Open Source OS to get to know it better would melt away in the case of Haiku - at least once a few more apps and API functions become available.
              Last edited by philcostin; 07 September 2009, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                @kraftman actually Haiku also has some other good points such as higher preference for native apps thus reducing multi toolkit bloat

haiku speedwise is probably not as fast as linux yet but in many cases it is already faster for many tasks than BeOS (considering BeOS isn't opetimised for newish hardware...BeOS however kicks Linux's Butt on old HW and I am comparing a very light Archlinux install to it)

Also have you not seen all the people that are having problems with Linux desktop latency? I men get real the big distros shouldn't be running a server kernel on a desktop distro

Haiku stands a far Better chance of dethroning Windows IMO than Linux because it has GUI ease of use as a high priority when it hits alpha download it and check it out sure its not mature but it shows promise. The good design enherently leads to low learnig curve which Im not sure I've seen a Linux distro that has this yet.

And don't forget ever other OS had to start somewhere as well...
                Yeah, sure... I have no single latency problem (except some bug or firmware problem with heavy I/O, but not related to this) with Linux. Some Gentooers with messed configs usually have problems. If you want a desktop distro with a desktop kernel you just choose a desktop distro. If you want a server distro with a server kernel you choose a server distro. This is such simple.

@DDevine

A desktop targeted kernel however will benefit a desktop user more than a server targeted kernel because it is tuned to slightly different things. On the desktop you would want to use BFS (Brain Fuck Scheduler) rather than the CFS that is in Mainline and is scalable to 4096 processors. BFS only scales efficiently to about 16 processors but is much more responsive to the user and therefore is much better on the desktop.
                Wrong, there's no overload when you have support up to 4096CPUs enabled on Linux (from some time, before you just had this disabled; and CFS is tuned for smaller systems).

EDIT: BFS is just a mess and far less responsive then CFS - it seems not exactly and it's better for some people.

CFS is optimized for desktops, surprised?

P.S. Brain Fuck Scheduler? ......................... sorry for this

P.S.2

We find it critically important
                that the mainline Linux scheduler performs well on those systems
                too [desktop] - and if you (or anyone else) can reproduce suboptimal behavior
                please let the scheduler folks know so that we can fix/improve it.
                Last edited by kraftman; 16 September 2009, 07:19 AM.

Comment

The first thing it brings to my mind is breadth-first search...
                  Very stupid acronym, too used in computer science.

Comment

PTS on Haiku?

Can we expect a port of PTS on Haiku? it would be nice to have one more supported platform!

Comment

Alpha version released today and i believe it deserves a place in the News

Comment

Working...
                      X