Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI Catalyst 9.8, Xinerama + XRandr (Composite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Catalyst 9.8, Xinerama + XRandr (Composite)

I got the latest catalyst drivers and i'm currently running ubuntu jaunty (yeah i know, soon to be replaced by arch ) and i'm using the 2.6.28-15 kernel.
    anyhow, only today i tried to enable Xinerama just to find out it disabled the randr option (composite) in kde (haven't tried other window makers).
    i spent like 2 hours searching on google and it seems as everyone are having problems, but all the posts are quiet old (1 year old) so i thought might be missing something..

i'm using Lenovo T400 with ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series and i must mention that the integrated graphic card (intel) is disabled so no issues with this one.

anyhow , i guess all those hangs i'm getting (not only from this version of catalyst) is something that happens to everyone.

btw, i'm also trying to understand where this error comes from:
    6410.251593] [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR* interrupt source ff000066 is not supported on this hardware (return code = 1)

if anyone knows..

thanks.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    old hardware ? x800 or X1900 ?

catalyst 9.8 only supports hd2000 amd up like 3870 and 4870 and 5870

the last catalyst supports this old hartware x800 and x1900 is 9-3.

but the opensource driver grow up fast!
    As far as ATI Documents my hardware is indeed supported in the last catalyst (9.8)

erez@infin1ty:~$ lspci -v | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

hmm, am i missing something? i will be happy to know that i use the wrong drivers and move on with this problem

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Infin1ty View Post
      I got the latest catalyst drivers and i'm currently running ubuntu jaunty (yeah i know, soon to be replaced by arch ) and i'm using the 2.6.28-15 kernel.
      anyhow, only today i tried to enable Xinerama just to find out it disabled the randr option (composite) in kde (haven't tried other window makers).
      Ummm... "randr option (composite)" doesn't make much sense. xrandr is one extension and composite is another. xrandr 1.2 is an extension that controls the mode and position of your monitors. It is not surprising that enabling xinerama would disable xrandr.

Enabling xinerama, however, also disables the composite extension. This is currently true for every video driver. nVidia has remarked that this is a limitation in the X server when asked about this in regards to their drivers. I've never heard AMD comment, but I would assume they'd say the same.

However, if you are using two monitors connected to one video card, you can just use the "Big Desktop" option to combine both monitors into one screen (similar to xinerama) and still keep the composite extension.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
        Ummm... "randr option (composite)" doesn't make much sense. xrandr is one extension and composite is another. xrandr 1.2 is an extension that controls the mode and position of your monitors. It is not surprising that enabling xinerama would disable xrandr.

Enabling xinerama, however, also disables the composite extension. This is currently true for every video driver. nVidia has remarked that this is a limitation in the X server when asked about this in regards to their drivers. I've never heard AMD comment, but I would assume they'd say the same.

However, if you are using two monitors connected to one video card, you can just use the "Big Desktop" option to combine both monitors into one screen (similar to xinerama) and still keep the composite extension.

Adam
        Hmm i looked into bigdesktop but as far as i understand it only allows me to divide my desktop into 2 screen (means half of my screen will be on the other screen), no?
        All i want is to be able to drag windows to the other screen (like xinerama allows).
        is it possible with bigdesktop?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Infin1ty View Post
          Hmm i looked into bigdesktop but as far as i understand it only allows me to divide my desktop into 2 screen (means half of my screen will be on the other screen), no?
          All i want is to be able to drag windows to the other screen (like xinerama allows).
          is it possible with bigdesktop?

thanks.
          Yes.

filler...

Comment

Working...
          X