Hey everyone,

I suspect my HD487x2 card is clinically dead xD

Setup:
    I have a dual boot; Kubuntu 9.04 and Windows XP pro 32 bit

My hardware:
    AMD Phenom 9950 X4
    4*2GB Kingston RAM
    Club3D HDRadeon 4870 X2
    Gigabyte Ultra Durable Motherboard (whatever lol )
    1000W Coolermaster PSU

Symptoms:
    It all started under Windows XP: sometimes a game slowed down a bit, froze and continued afterwards. A while later this happened more frequently and I was getting ATI GPU Recovery dialogs. No problem though, because afterwards my game continued. I thought it was a driver problem.

Then not too long ago I started experiencing lockups in Windows. It didn't matter if I was running a graphically intensive game or my pc was just idling when I was surfing the web a bit. And then Kaboom: red squares over my desktop, the screen froze and then went black, the audio that was playing started looping and stopped (kernel crash?). The soft shutdown button didn't work and pressing the standby button on my keyboard didn't put my pc into standby (this is a nice work around if Ctrl+Alt+Delete is no longer working, because it puts the system in standby, and when you get it out of standby everything usually works again.

So today I figured it could also just be the old 8.x catalyst driver or something, so I uninstalled it, downloaded the 9.8 driver and installed that one. I started GTAIV and it was the same horror all over again.

So I thought: well maybe this is still just a software problem, because all of my games did not experience z-buffer problems or other artifacts you usually get with bad graphics cards. So I fired up Kubuntu 9.04 (2D drivers, no problems, except for not having 3D ) and downloaded the 9.8 catalyst 64bit for Linux. This installed just fine. Reboot, pray, hello KDE 4.3 ... So now it's time to check out 3D and see if I can start to stress the card a little. I turned on compositing effects for Kwin from the control pannel -> I get a message in Dutch saying something like "This doesn't work. Check your X settings" and the KDE4 information thing telling me "The following could not be activated: *list of compositing effects*. Errrrrr... okey, so I ran glxgears. This is what I got:
    Code:
    vincent@vincent-desktop:~$ glxgears
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  135 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
      Serial number of failed request:  14
      Current serial number in output stream:  14
    vincent@vincent-desktop:~$
    And no glxgears window to be seen...

Now even dragging a window around or scrolling in Firefox is 'slippery choppy', if you know what I mean...

Besides sending this card back to the shop I bought it at for warrenty: is there anything else I can do?

Trivia:
    -When I reboot after a crash in Windows the BIOS post screen is all fscked up and the Linux usplash too, until I reach X.
    -My father just had the same problem with his nVidia QuadroFX laptop graphics card and Dell confirmed it was dead and replaced it. He was starting to see the effects in Ubuntu first though :S Problem with power in my house maybe?
    -I have never overclocked this card
    -It doesn't matter how hot the card gets before it crashes. The fan works and putting a household fan in front of it doesn't make a difference except for the fact that it cools down a little
    -I had a BSOD in Windows saying something about an ATI module
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 05 September 2009, 06:07 AM.

Thanks! I will try both when I get back home tomorrow.

Comment

Okey... sudo aticonfig --initial and sudo aticonfig --initial -f didn't work even after rebooting. I then uninstalled the driver, did sudo aptitude dist-upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 and installed the 8.6 driver from the package manager and got framebuffer corruption and a kernel crash exactly like what happens when you install fglrx on a unsupported kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        Realy ubuntu 9.10 has the catalyst 9.10...

Package Name:
        xorg-driver-fglrx
        version 2:8.660

fglrx-dev-version 8.660 = catalyst 9.10 beta
        Tried exactly that version...

PS: Oh wait... the dev version?

Comment

The internal version numbers (eg 8.600) are unambiguous, beta and release are all the same. It's just a running number.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            The internal version numbers (eg 8.600) are unambiguous, beta and release are all the same. It's just a running number.
            Tried it again and it didn't work. I had to find the package name with lynx and apt-get remove xorg-driver-fglrx and resume normal boot

Comment

Rest In Pieces!!!

OK guys this card is absolutely D.E.A.D.! Now even with the 2D drivers I got blue stripes all over my screen (yeah framebuffer).

So I ripped it out and luckily I've got a HD3300 IGP, but even that card doesn't work with the Catalyst drivers. Installed it, rebooted, booted into a root shell, did aticonfig --initial and then reboot but even that didn't work. Same crap. But the 2D drivers are working with this... IGP.

So now I'm on Windows and absolutely had it with Linux now (for one week probably untill I get absolutely fed up with Win$hit Xperience Pain xD) just because I want to play a simple game of Quake Live that does not go over the freaking soft-pipe with 0.33fps

Anyway thank you for all your time and I hope I can get warrenty on my HD4870x2 (I don't know if I have this card for over or less than a year, so... )

Comment

RMA

Yea, that is a pity man, hope you can rma the card.

I experienced like symptoms on a powercolor hd4870.
                It is rma now, the reseller tested the card and confirmed it was broken.
                Mine would freeze at stock memory speeds; both in windows and linux.

I bought a sapphire to replace it and that is fine.
                Now i am only waiting for the reseller to send the other card back.

Comment

o man i'm so sorry.
                  Hahaha are you serious? :P It is not a human being xD Besides, I can still do real life stuff with the IGP, so it's just a luxury problem

can you please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /etc/x11/xorg.conf
                  Yeah sure, but why? I already took out the card and removed the xorg-diver-fglrx so would these files be of any use? If you want this out of curiosity, for testing purposes or driver development or whatever I wouldn't mind reinstalling the card and posting the logs

Comment

fglrx 9-10 and IGP hd3300?... does not worl to on your pc..

you can play on this cart to!
                    Oops :P *I'm blond* xD (blond hair means you're stupid in my country, don't know if this is international...)

Yeah I will try that now, although upon trying to download a Windows driver for the HD3300 series from the ATI website it said that this was not supported by AMD itself and I could only get it from OEM...

Comment

Working...
                    X