No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been able to use the live CD to test these drivers, unlike the NVIDIA side. Could anyone venture a guess as to what I'm doing wrong?

Comment

You forgot

rmmod radeon ttm drm

when gdm/kdm is stopped before aktivating the new driver. My script does that automatically.

Comment

ubuntu 9.10 and ati radon x1900 gt card ~ driver install fails

hello,

i have:
        - mother asus m2n-e
        - gfx ati radeon x1900 gt
        when i execute the script the final ati driver installation fails:

>Edit: --install option fixed, you can replace that line with the one >you usually use to create deb/rpm or whatever.[/QUOTE]
        ./ati-installer.sh 8.66 --install ???
        what parameter is required here for ubuntu 9.10 to install driver for ati radeon x1900 gt card ??

best regards
        toyman
        email: [email protected]

--- fglrx-install.log ----START
        ------------------------------
        [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
        [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
        [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
        AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
        doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
        rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.GCC* .??* *.symvers
        make -C /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
        make[1]: Betrete Verzeichnis '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
        In file included from /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:443:
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h: In function ?FGLDRM__vma_info?:
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/drm_proc.h:497: warning: format ?%08lx? expects type ?long unsigned int?, but argument 5 has type ?phys_addr_t?
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ?KCL_MapPageToPfn?:
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1568: warning: unused variable ?bus_addr?
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:431:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:464:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:490:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
        /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:514:6: warning: #warning "ACPI notification wrapping won't work."
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_agp.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_debug.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_ioctl.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_io.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_pci.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_str.o
        CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_wait.o
        LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o
        Building modules, stage 2.
        MODPOST 1 modules
        WARNING: "find_task_by_vpid" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefined!
        CC /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o
        LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko
        make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic'
        build succeeded with return value 0
        duplicating results into driver repository...
        done.
        You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
        and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
        - recreating module dependency list
        - trying a sample load of the kernel modules
        failed.
        [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to install compiled kernel module - please consult readme.

--- fglrx-install.log -----END
        ------------------------------

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        A little script to install it somewhere else - but you need new Xserver, missing files for Debian lenny for example:
        Code:
        #!/bin/sh
        cd /usr/src
        wget -N http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run
        wget -N http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/f/fglrx-installer/fglrx-installer_8.660.orig.tar.gz
        DIR_OLD=fglrx.old
        DIR_NEW=fglrx.new
        rm -rf "$DIR_OLD" "$DIR_NEW"
        mkdir "$DIR_OLD" "$DIR_NEW"
        sh ati-driver-installer-9-8-x86.x86_64.run --extract "$DIR_OLD"
        tar -C "$DIR_NEW" -zvxf fglrx-installer_8.660.orig.tar.gz
        cp "$DIR_OLD"/* "$DIR_NEW"
        cp -r "$DIR_OLD"/setup.data "$DIR_NEW"
        cd "$DIR_NEW"
        wget -qO- "http://phorogit.com/index.php?p=fglrx-packaging.git&dl=targz"|tar zxv
        mv -v fglrx-packaging packages
        rm -rf packages/ArchLinux
        mkdir common
        mv -v etc lib opt usr common
        cp -r ../"$DIR_OLD"/packages/ATI packages
        ./ati-installer.sh 8.66 --install
        Edit: --install option fixed, you can replace that line with the one you usually use to create deb/rpm or whatever.

Comment

Your card is not supported. You can use Kanotix Excalibur (ask in irc://irc.freenode.net/#kanotix) or use the default oss driver. Only fglrx 9-3 will work.

Comment

Originally posted by zapbrannigan99 View Post
            Thanks for the reply, didnt realise it would start a long discussion. The open source driver is fine for R300 (x1270 radeon) when using compiz effects in Ubuntu.

Where it really falls down is using an app like google earth - maybe ~10fps if lucky. This is considerably slower than my old intel 82855 igp on a laptop that i also have Ubuntu that dates back to 2003 .

Should we expect a big push from the open source driver in terms of performance, or throw it away and buy a new laptop lol.

Can see AMD's point of dropping support for older devices, but if would be nice if they released the binary driver as source for older devices...maybe this would give the open source guys a hand
            x1270 would be an R400, not 300.

And that thing should cook in google earth. Something's wrong with your system. Hmm. That google earth slowness thing does ring a bell. But for an older card -- I remember having to tweak something in driconfig for an R100 card for google earth.

You do realize that google earth is a crazy buggy thing, don't you?

Comment

The driconf "disable low impact fallbacks" option often seems to help with Google Earch, although the app changes frequently so issues & advice become obsolete quickly as well.

As droidhacker said, the rs6xx (X12xx) graphics is a mix of 4xx (acceleration/drawing blocks) and 6xx (display, memory & most other blocks).
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Thx i know that "card and fact" but my firmware or hardware in my brain do not work correctly...

I'm not perfect
                Holy necroposting Batman! It's becoming contagious! So, I'll add why I've gleaned... (considering trying the edger PPA eventually, but I'm going to let the OSS driver bake a little longer yet... probably until it gets additional opengl revision support...)

Anyways, as others have mentioned if you don't really need superfast/complete 3D become an OSS driver guinea pig. For Ubuntu IIRC there's a PPA that tracks mesa/X.org/radeon drivers.
                Last edited by cutterjohn; 11 December 2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X