AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I couldn't find a bugzilla ticket for the "washed out colours". I didn't go through every single ticket with "Xv" but I did go through all the ones with likely sounding descriptions (and more). Can someone file a ticket with an example, preferably with a link to the (legal) video file ?

I know we went through a *lot* of discussion regarding the open source drivers and what was actually "correct" - the specs are kind of vague about when each conversion matrix should be used so the devs tried a series of different heuristics until everyone seemed happy with the results.

There doesn't seem to be a clear "right and wrong" here, just a variety of opinions. IIRC part of the problem is that video files are not tagged to identify which conversion matrix was used for encoding, so the driver has to guess based on things like video resolution (eg SD is usually encoded one way, HD is usually encoded another way).
    @bridgman: I've logged a clear bug report about this, including steps to reproduce it without video (with gstreamer-properties), showing it has no connection with video tagging etc. I strongly suspect the coefficients used in the post-processing pixel-shader, see:

@everyone-else: login to ati.cchtml.com and hit 'Vote for this bug' if you want this fixed.

Thanks!
    Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
      There are a few formal places for support.

<snip>

Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.
      @mtippett/Matthew:

Thanks for the info. I've added upstream and downstream links between vendor and distro bug reports of two seeming quite visible issues <1> and fed in additional information. There is still no acknowledgement/sign from AMD on these alas.

There will still be a position for the FGLRX driver after opensource DRM/Mesa support arrives in eg > 7 months for Ubuntu users, so it's a pity it'll still give users a worse experience before and after then.

--- <1>

Comment

fglrx 9.10 (from ubuntu) is the way to go if you want suspend-to-ram (I haven't tried suspend-to-disk) working

Gentoo ~amd64, 2.6.31-zen1, ASUS EAH Radeon 4850, fglrx 9.10 (ubuntu release), fluxbox / xfce4

both desktop environments work both well with s2ram and disabled framebuffer

it switches to the VT and then from there suspends, after wakeup it's back at X

the command to make it suspend to ram is:

Code:
        s2ram -a 1 -m -f

this has NEVER successfully worked for me in the last 5 years with fglrx:

*) it either hardlocked when switching to VT

*) hardlocked the computer totally when waking up or during suspend

*) the screen stayed black

so finally I can ditch windows Vista most of the time and ban Windows XP into a VirtualMachine where it's only run if there are programs which my university forces me to use (and there's no linux-port for)

excellent work guys

3 wishes for improvement and fglrx:

*) faster support for newer kernels

*) support for preemptible rcu and/or full kernel preemption

*) support for other / additional slab allocators (such as slqb)

Thanks a lot !
        Last edited by kernelOfTruth; 22 September 2009, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Hello,

since 9.9 the fglrx suffers from strange OpenGL perfomance regressions and other flaws.

As soon I am using compiz, the card shows a high load and almost never clocks down anymore.
          Quake wars performance dropped by alsmost 20%

Using best texture quality setting in compiz actually renders the Desktop with a lower resolution and upsamples it when switching through virtual workspaces.

Still there is no possibility to use PC-level with XV, no Vsync.

Card used: HD 4850

Comment

@KernelOfTruth
            I found that with Ubuntu 9.04 x86-64 disabling compiz/beryl(desktop effects in GNOME -- not sure if xfce wm supports that as I haven't run an xfce is some time(was testing it as a more featured replacement for fluxbox on an old nb)) solved the freezing on wake from sleep/hibernate for me...

It'd be really nice if 9.10 final actually fixes that, along with video playback also occassionally freezing the machine after wake from sleep. (It doesn't happen all of the time now, so they must've at least made a partial fix for it so far...)

(4850 mobility 512MB GDDR3, P8600)

Comment

Cat 9.10 with HD5870 - any luck?

Has anyone tried this 9.10 beta with a HD5870?

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
                Now for unofficial reports you obviously have forums and so on. Also a number of years ago I asked the forum members to conentrate bug reports on a bugzilla vs a set of "known issues" forums. The result was http://ati.cchtml.com/ and it is my preferred "community" bug aggregation resource. Again, we see all the bug activity on there, if you are lucky and the issue you are posting is relevant to our current focus, AMD employees also post there too.
                I recall bridgman reminding that it's very important not to just report bugs on the tracker and forget them there but actively attempt to participate in the solving process. (since AMD/ATi might be unable to reproduce the problem) Also telling them which bugs actually got fixed there probably helps them to keep working on the ones that are still a problem.

Comment

Just tried installing the driver linked in this thread on my msi laptop with x1270 ATI (r6xx) based chipset - the driver installs but when reboot, aticonfig says no hardware detected... What gives?

Using the default ati driver that comes with ubuntu 9.10, glxinfo reports Mesa DRI R300 (RS690 791F)... Is this driver not compat? Sorry, am brand new to Ubuntu world...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    also non working xv without flickering
                    Did you tried --xv-pixmap-buffer-type option from aticonfig?

Comment

No, vsync for xv has to be the default and no special case!

Comment

Working...
                      X