No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.10 dropped in Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll ask around; it's possible we're using playback on Windows as a reference.
    Test signature

Comment

I also suffer from the washed out colours, exactly as Fran describes it.

For reference, I just did a comparison on a trailer for Diablo 3 which I downloaded earlier today. (Monk Trailer). In one window I had Totem running Xv. In another window I had smplayer running OpenGL. Both players where running side by side and in sync. OpenGL yeilds much better result. Xv was gray by comparison. Tough the trailer doesn't contain much colour it's still possible to notice the washed out colours.

I'm running Catalyst 9.8 and Ubuntu 9.04.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        I also suffer from the washed out colours, exactly as Fran describes it.
        I'm pretty sure everybody does; as Muad'Dib pointed out this is most probably caused by fglrx using 16-235 instead of 0-255 for each RGB component under xv.

I seem to remember there was a registry trick to solve the problem in windows (force the driver to expand to 0-255), but in linux...

Comment

Great to see people talking about this issue
          Frans screenshots nails it. It's funny that with free radeon driver when using Xv the black is black like it should be, but for some reason just like it shows that with catalyst it's brown in a way like some early LCD screens produced black back in the days.

Comment

Thanks AMD for the driver, don't forget to release 9.9 and 9.10 (final), too

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            But the 1-2s freezes when maximizing windows/etc. are still there.
            of course it's still there !

you haven't re-compiled your x-server with the fix from fedora (it's an issue caused by intel from what I've read so far)

fglrx+kde4+composite, how to make it really fast (f.g.o)

the patch is called: fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch patch

when using an x-server with that patch included there's no delay in maximizing (none with compiz and none with kwin's opengl backend)

Comment

For the slow resize fiasco, the solution for distros is simple:

1. Keep the backfill functionality in the default x server packages.
              2. Add the no backfill x server package to the repository
              3. Modify fglrx package building script to set the x server no backfill package as a recommended or dependency.
              4. When users install the driver, the good x server will also be pulled.

Why is this not done?

Comment

anyone tried KDE4 kwin's compositing with opengl and whether the invert effect works now ?

since I switched from nvidia at the beginning of this year it never worked for me with fglrx even though fglrx seems to support the needed extensions for the effects to work

Originally posted by Zarin
                The invert effect requires fragment shaders to work. Please copy/paste the output of the following:
                Code:
                glxinfo | grep -iE '(shad)|(string)'
                If you cannot see GL_ARB_fragment_shader and GL_ARB_shading_language_100 then your system doesn't support the required functionality.
                the output I got was:
                glxinfo | grep -iE '(GL_ARB_fragment_shader)|(GL_ARB_shading_language _100)|(string)|shad'
                server glx vendor string: ATI
                server glx version string: 1.4
                client glx vendor string: ATI
                client glx version string: 1.4
                OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
                OpenGL version string: 2.1.8870
                OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
                GL_AMDX_vertex_shader_tessellator, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend,
                GL_AMD_vertex_shader_tessellator, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float,
                GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, GL_ARB_fragment_shader,
                GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel,
                GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, GL_ARB_shader_objects,
                GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shadow,
                GL_ARB_shadow_ambient, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
                GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader,
                GL_ATI_fragment_shader, GL_ATI_meminfo, GL_ATI_separate_stencil,
                GL_EXT_geometry_shader4, GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters,
                GL_EXT_gpu_shader4, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil,
                GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture,
                some more info on this issue:
                http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=63748

@bridgman:
                could you please take a look at it ?
                it more seems kind of an driver-problem of fglrx than a problem of kwin itself

many thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                  Wait, 10 hours since the release and still nobody is bitching about bugs? Weird

Anyway, I've modified the 9.8 ebuild to use this tar.bz2 and it seems to be a decent release. It works with 2.6.31-rc8 and Oblivion works in wine without tricks (no dlls from directx, no registry edits).

I still can't get gdm to stop (it hangs the computer if I try) and xv still shows washed colors, but other than that no complaints. I still prefer the open source driver for daily usage, though.

Hi Fran,

could you please post your ebuild ?

I can't wait to use 2.6.31-rc9-zen0 with BFS and this driver

many thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                    anyone tried KDE4 kwin's compositing with opengl and whether the invert effect works now ?

since I switched from nvidia at the beginning of this year it never worked for me with fglrx even though fglrx seems to support the needed extensions for the effects to work

the output I got was:

some more info on this issue:
                    http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=63748

@bridgman:
                    could you please take a look at it ?
                    it more seems kind of an driver-problem of fglrx than a problem of kwin itself

many thanks in advance
                    The link didn't seem to help much - it mostly pointed to a bug report on Intel hardware. As you said, the required extensions seem to be there and there doesn't seem to be any indication of the extensions not working - is there any other discussion that points to an specific problem with the OpenGL driver ?
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      But the 1-2s freezes when maximizing windows/etc. are still there.
                      i don't have it....

Comment

Working...
                      X