Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.0 Progress: GNOME Shell, Mutter Updates

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Progress: GNOME Shell, Mutter Updates

GNOME 2.28 will be released next month, but after that, the core focus among these free software desktop developers will turn to working on GNOME 3.0. Many GNOME developers have already been devoting some work towards GNOME 3.0, particularly in the areas of Mutter, Zeitgeist, and GNOME Shell, considering all of the work that's ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix
    [b]The release of GNOME 3.0 is expected to occur on the 31st of March in 2010.http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUxMA
    I wonder why they don't release it in first of April
    Last edited by Apopas; 05 September 2009, 09:17 AM. Reason: forgot to write "release"

Comment

Come on, it's waaaaay to soon to just dismiss it as a failure. I'm personally really excited to see how gnome 3.0 turns out.

One of the biggest complaints I hear is about the "extra" click on the Activities bar. That's not right. You only have to move your mouse to the far upper left corner and it opens. Regardless, it's still not finished.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        Come on, it's waaaaay to soon to just dismiss it as a failure. I'm personally really excited to see how gnome 3.0 turns out.

One of the biggest complaints I hear is about the "extra" click on the Activities bar. That's not right. You only have to move your mouse to the far upper left corner and it opens. Regardless, it's still not finished.
        No I don't mean it will be a failure. I like the first things I've seen so far. I, always, welcome changes. Maybe they don't release it at April first, because some people will consider it as a joke hehehe

Comment

Would be nice with a live-cd for trying G3 out. Does such a thing exist yet?

Comment

(cough) Screenshots (cough)

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              No I don't mean it will be a failure. I like the first things I've seen so far. I, always, welcome changes. Maybe they don't release it at April first, because some people will consider it as a joke hehehe
              My apologies then. I have no problem with real criticism, but the (insert DE here) fanboys can get annoying.

There isn't a live CD that I know of, but it's fairly easy to build the Shell using the instructions on the Gnome site. It's pretty un-intrusive. The script to run it automatically kills the panels when run, and restores it after exiting from the shell.

It's pretty rough, but it's worth it to give it a run. If anything, just to get an idea of where these guys seem to be heading.

Comment

Working...
              X