Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Karmic's Installer Slideshow

Phoronix: Ubuntu Karmic's Installer Slideshow

Yesterday Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 5 was released and besides shipping with a number of updated packages and the Ubuntu One client along with Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud images, the Ubiquity installer shipped with its new slide-show feature enabled. Now during the Ubuntu installation process from the desktop LiveCD, rather than just showing a status bar it also advertises various features of this Linux operating system.For those that have not yet tried Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 5, below are six screenshots from the Ubiquity install process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow... Firefox... FSpot...Pidgin...Evolution...

Sounds like I'm going to LOVE my new Kubuntu install!

Comment

That's very not newsworthy. It's not even a useful or significant feature. I'm moderately ticked that the Ubuntu team bothered to put effort into something like that.
      "Those jacka-asses over to Ubuntu don't contribute up-stream changes!" "Yes, but, they've added a slide-show displaying irrelevant information that does not pertain to the progress of the install process to the OS installer!" "Oh, well never mind then, they're obviously contributing to the vibrancy of the Linux ecosystem."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Alien_Overlord View Post
        Wow... Firefox... FSpot...Pidgin...Evolution...

Sounds like I'm going to LOVE my new Kubuntu install!
        Kubuntu's going to have its own installer.

Comment

2 question

1) firefox is one of the most poupular web browsers?
          Is correct the prural?

2)pidgin wasn't replaced by empathy?

Comment

Looks exactly what Windows installers have been like since maybe Windows 95.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MKdx View Post
                Kubuntu's going to have its own installer.
                ...which, as usual, doesn't even rate a mention. When will Kubuntu see the new feture? Ever? Presumably, but as usual with new features, Kubuntu doesn't even rate a mention. Hopefully we'll see this before Marauding Meercat comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  For a Windows 95/98 install, the disk partitioning phase looks like FDISK.COM, and the filesystem creation phase looks like FORMAT.COM. 2000/XP integrates that part into the installer with a decent menu-driven interface and the ability to use Windows storage drivers, but it's still text mode.

Comment

I've tried the new Kubuntu installer some weeks ago and it looks at least as good as this one

Unfortunately, I can't give Alpha 5 a try since one of the last upgrades broke Karmic for me (updated system & new downloaded cd), it just hangs when starting Gnome/KDE. I assume it is the xserver-xorg-video-radeon update but am not sure. Hopefully radeon and Mesa will get updated to latest git before Ubuntu 9.10 releases.

Comment

Working...
                    X