X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not always

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    code size!=less resources
    Yes you can have a tiny code size and then allocate a dynamically allocate lots of memory. You can also use a terrible amount of CPU but you will often find smaller code does equal fewer resources.

Comment

Originally posted by lwatcdr View Post
      Yes you can have a tiny code size and then allocate a dynamically allocate lots of memory. You can also use a terrible amount of CPU but you will often find smaller code does equal fewer resources.
      You would be surprised. There was a SLE bug filed a ways back by an ISV that reports VM intensive microbenchmark slows down by about 45%, and real world (for them) performance drop by 10-20% by using -Os rather than -O2 in SLES11 kernel.

This was verified by another ISV as well.

Comment

No it is a new approach top to bottom.

Originally posted by tettamanti View Post
        Shouldn't make any difference, Clang is just the frontend, right?
        This has likely been answered already but it has the potential to make a huge difference. I say potential because CLang is no where near what most people would call mature. In any event authoritative answers can be had on the LLVMM and CLang web sites.

Dave

Comment

I'm wondering when we are going to see the CLang tests?

Not to rush the cook in the kitchen but how is the testing of CLang coming along. I fully realize it is a compiler fresh from the oven but the question is does it lead to tasty code or do the bits end up in the dogs dish?

As a new flavor for our bit baking endeavors I want to know if CLang is ready to spice up our code. Apple seems to think it is close to being ready for a topping of ice cream and to call it the best desert ever. I'm a bit reluctant and would like to see the test test results of others, before serving up CLang with my special sauces.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Not to rush the cook in the kitchen but how is the testing of CLang coming along. I fully realize it is a compiler fresh from the oven but the question is does it lead to tasty code or do the bits end up in the dogs dish?

As a new flavor for our bit baking endeavors I want to know if CLang is ready to spice up our code. Apple seems to think it is close to being ready for a topping of ice cream and to call it the best desert ever. I'm a bit reluctant and would like to see the test test results of others, before serving up CLang with my special sauces.

Dave

damn it! now I'm hungry...

Comment

Working...
            X