XvBA / VA API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
    Not at 1920x1080 with a half-decent encoding quality it doesn't.... run fine, I mean. Especially in high-motion scenes. If it hits peak CPU usage, then it is DEFINITELY suffering (i.e. dropping frames or building them up in queue).
    FYI it was h.264 made of Blu-ray and is plenty high-quality enough for anyone. No messages of dropped frames.

Comment

Also there's plans of getting VDPAU for opensource drivers under Gallium3D for ATi cards so the whole problem with XvBA might well prove uninteresting in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by lbcoder View Post
        Not at 1920x1080 with a half-decent encoding quality it doesn't.... run fine, I mean. Especially in high-motion scenes.
        Could you please point me to such clips? In particular, the hardest clips for your CPU. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          VLC, Totem do not support VDPAU at all.
          VLC supports VDPAU, indirectly through VA API. There is no native support for VDPAU though. And there is no performance loss either through the VAAPI-to-VDPAU bridge.

Comment

How do you need to compile VLC to be able to use that?

Comment

Originally posted by gbeauche View Post
              Could you please point me to clips that stress the CPU really hard? Thanks.
              Here's one:

If you can find more demanding clips than this one, please post them in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxdriver View Post
                Here's one:

If you can find more demanding clips than this one, please post them in this thread.
                From what I've heard, the most demanding material is probably the "Birds" clip from Planet Earth. It might be tricky to get ahold of it though.

If you check the mythtv wiki, it should have a link to HD-PVR samples- which are reasonably challenging for a CPU to decode.

Comment

Much more demanding is real BD material - usually about 30 mbps.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Much more demanding is real BD material - usually about 30 mbps.
                    That's illegal to watch in Linux, so problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      How do you need to compile VLC to be able to use that?
                      VLC git for the old approach that consisted in fetching the decoded frames back with vaGetImage(). However, a specific video-output (VO) for VA API was developed this summer. I don't know/think it's committed, and I did not even had the time to test it yet.

Old patch from the ML + a few hacks to make it just-build against 1.0.x:
                      splitted-desktop.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, splitted-desktop.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                      X