Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 10.0 Browser Released With New Interface

Phoronix: Opera 10.0 Browser Released With New Interface

The Norwegians at Opera Software have announced the final release of the Opera 10.0 web-browser. This closed-source web-browser that is available for Linux brings three key changes with the 10.0 release: Opera Turbo, a new user-interface, and better tabs support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Opera Turbo" was actually done a decade ago by AOL.

Comment

Warning: I really do love Opera, so the following might read as an advertisement. You've been warned!

I've been using Opera 10 since beta 1 and it really is awesome. A marked improvement in speed, interface and usability.

My favorite features:
      1. Bookmark sync: I use several PCs and this is a real lifesaver.
      2. Built-in mail, RSS and IRC clients (yes, even IRC comes in handy if you know what you are looking for).
      3. Mouse gestures. Makes every other browser feel primitive.
      4. Fit-to-width. Allows you to actually zoom-in on pages without destroying the layout. Try zooming Phoronix on Firefox by 30%. Now try in Opera with Fit-to-width. Which one is better?
      5. Built-in adblocker.
      6. Speed dial. Try Opera and go back to Firefox. It's one of the first things you'll miss (the relevant extensions suck).
      7. Site preferences (disable/enable plugins, javascript or mask the browser with the click of a button).
      8. Spell checker (finally!)
      9. Speed. This browser is fast! Try opening a large HTML/CSS document in Firefox (try 5-10MB) and see it crawl. Opera (and Chrome) fare much better here.
      10. Sleek and extremely customizable interface.
      11. Just plain awesomeness. 'Cause Opera is awesome.

Other neat stuff in Opera 10: amd64 Qt4 builds, Opera Turbo (for slow or expensive connections) and a great distribution system that provides debs, rpms or plain tar.gz archives for any platform you can imagine. Good job!

Edit: download links.
      Last edited by BlackStar; 01 September 2009, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Opera has been my number 1 candidate to replace Firefox for a long time, as it is (AFAIK) the only other with browser decent support for both Linux and Windows (maybe Chrome will see same-day releases on both platforms eventually?). Since I use three linux installs + two Windows, this is pretty important to me.

For your points, in Firefox I use:
        1. add-on
        2. Thunderbird for email, Firefox for RSS, no IRC client
        3. add-on
        4. don't really use/need zoom
        5. add-on
        6. missing - seems like a nice function
        7. several add-ons!
        8. already there
        9. dearly missed (maybe also due to the many add-ons!)
        10. Personas with a not-too-fancy skin
        11. pretty awesome and open source

So, one thing that makes me stay with Firefox relates to Opera Link; will it also sync site permissions (cookies, JavaScript, ect) and cookies? I'm currently doing this by using Xmarks and NoScript (though this doesn't sync page cookie permissions - anyone know of a way to do that?). I don't think Opera can do this (natively/alternatively)?

Also, the adblocker doesn't seem as easy as Adblock Plus where a simple click on 'Subscribe' will kill most of your adds + get updated filters?
        Last edited by anbog; 01 September 2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anbog View Post
          For your points, in Firefox I use:
          [...]

So, one thing that makes me stay with Firefox relates to Opera Link; will it also sync site permissions (cookies, JavaScript, ect) and cookies? I'm currently doing this by using Xmarks and NoScript (though this doesn't sync page cookie permissions - anyone know of a way to do that?). I don't think Opera can do this (natively/alternatively)?

Also, the adblocker doesn't seem as easy as Adblock Plus where a simple click on 'Subscribe' will kill most of your adds + get updated filters?
          Exactly the same situation, only I use Firefox as my second browser (and Chrome as my third, mainly for testing,)

Opera Link only syncs bookmarks, unfortunately. I'd love to see more extensive support in some future version (e.g. browser settings, site preferences, saved passwords, email accounts, RSS feeds to name a few). The mail account sync would be a killer feature and a very good reason to use the built-in mail client instead of evolution or thunderbird.

For adblock, just save fanboy's list into your ~/.opera directory. Problem solved!

The problem with Firefox is that you need way too many extensions to make it behave reasonably and it's a royal pain hunting them down whenever you do a new install. Opera has almost everything ready out of the box.

And a new awesome new feature in Opera 10: place the tabs to the side and they turn into thumbnails. Nice touch!

Edit: you typically need to zoom in when you are using a 1080p TV and are sitting 5 meters away. The same with 'high' DPI monitors (my laptop is 129 DPI and phoronix is way too small to be comfortable at 100% zoom).

Edit 2: Opera 10 seems to be much faster than Firefox 3.5 when ran on a USB stick (I am running Linux on a 8GB stick, since I cannot install it on my work laptop). The difference is staggering, especially when changing tabs or loading a new page (both are set to not use disk cache).
          Last edited by BlackStar; 01 September 2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            [*]Built-in adblocker.
            Is there a way to easily use the easylist adblock-list which is probably the best one imho? Saving it as urlfilter.ini never worked for me and I really don't want to block every single banner that changes daily anyway by myself. This always kept me from using Opera for a longer time.

If there wasn't Google Chrome, I would take a closer look at Opera again. But Chrome has the best user interface and is *by faaar* the fastest browser. Extension support is more or less finished.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Is there a way to easily use the easylist adblock-list which is probably the best one imho? Saving it as urlfilter.ini never worked for me and I really don't want to block every single banner that changes daily anyway by myself. This always kept me from using Opera for a longer time.

If there wasn't Google Chrome, I would take a closer look at Opera again. But Chrome has the best user interface and is *by faaar* the fastest browser. Extension support is more or less finished.
              I think fanboy's list includes easylist. At least, that's the vibe I'm getting from a quick google search. Even if it misses something, Opera's adblocking interface is very slick (much better than Firefox's adblock plus), so it's not that big of a deal anyway.

However, isn't what you are saying a bit contradictory? Chrome doesn't have adblocking at all but this doesn't keep you from using it! Honestly, Chrome wins by far in the speed and interface departments (although the interface of Opera 10 is nearly as functional as Chrome and much prettier to boot), but it loses almost everywhere else. Its zoom support is the worst among all common browser - even worse than Internet Explorer's.

Comment

9. Speed. This browser is fast! Try opening a large HTML/CSS document in Firefox (try 5-10MB) and see it crawl. Opera (and Chrome) fare much better here.
                Very true.

Comment

However, isn't what you are saying a bit contradictory? Chrome doesn't have adblocking at all but this doesn't keep you from using it!
                  I should have been a bit more clear probably... I am still using Firefox primarily, but using Chrome too for fun and the extension support that will bring adblock etc. is pretty much done and will be introduced very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    I should have been a bit more clear probably... I am still using Firefox primarily, but using Chrome too for fun and the extension support that will bring adblock etc. is pretty much done and will be introduced very soon.
                    I wonder how long before ad blocking programs are subject to a lawsuite from the advertisers as they are offering a product that directly hurts the advertisers revenue. Admittedly this will probably first happen in the States.

Comment

Working...
                    X