Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    The GPL serves the FSF nothing more.
    Stop kidding Deanjo The GPL serves every GPL software user. The GPL prevents companies like Apple to take someones code and give nothing back.

Every companies contribution to the linux kernel for example serves their product.
    And everyone can have benefit.

Sorry freedom by definition does not have limits.
    Anarchy doesn't have limits. Real freedom must have rules.

If I put out code into public domain my original code is still there untouched. If someone grabs that code and modifies it, improves, degrades it still does not effect my original code.
    You're missing the point here. If Linux were using BSD license MS, Apple, Sun (which are its rivals) can take all its benefits (kernel in example) add ZFS support and sell.

@Apopas

My freedom ends when I hurt someone else's freedom.
    Very well said friend.
    Last edited by kraftman; 29 August 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Sorry freedom by definition does not have limits
      There is not a single totally acceptable definition, every philosopher and dictionary gives one, but despite their sayings there is something that only an insane could disagree with:
      <<Even if you can you don't have the right to hurt me>>
      and that alone puts restrictions on freedom and despite if it sounds bad, it is actually pretty nice.

If your buddy cannot afford gas for his car, do you go and fill up his tank as well just because you paid for the gas in yours and not pay the gas station for his?
      No but if they don't let me use the gas I paid for in every way I like, then they hurt my freedom and at least in the world of software I can have more options than the irrelevant example you mentioned.

If you have a copy of MS office and give it to someone your not a criminal. You are however if you retain use of it after transfer on your own systems.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2006/11/8140.ars
      I'm sure you could understand the real meaning of my example...

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Anarchy doesn't have limits. Real freedom must have rules.
      Exactly. Freedom must contain respect to be able to stay freedom.
      Last edited by Apopas; 29 August 2009, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qwerty View Post

A must buy... USABLE ONLY WITH APPLE HARDWARE, that is EXACTLY the same of a normal Intel HW pc.

... A must buy...
        a must buy for apple users, period. The good man isn't attacking your buying decisions so you can relax .

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Stop kidding Deanjo The GPL serves every GPL software user. The GPL prevents companies like Apple to take someones code and give nothing back.
          Apple gives back as well to the projects it utilizes. If you can't see that then you really are blind.

And everyone can have benefit.
          Hardly, the kernel is full of code that addresses one particular venders device and won't work for any other.

You can write nefarious code under any license you wish. A license will not change that. Once again I have to use sqlite of a living example of how public domain can work. Chances are you use multiple devices with it in a day without even knowing about it but yet you benefit from it.

Comment

Apple gives back as well to the projects it utilizes. If you can't see that then you really are blind.
            It can give but the matter is if they want they won't. That's the important thing. Everything works for their own benefit, not for me. If there is a period where their politics are beneficial for me, this doesn't change the general fact. And again to support Apple more than GPL is quite astonishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post

No but if they don't let me use the gas I paid for in every way I like, then they hurt my freedom and at least in the world of software I can have more options than the irrelevant example you mentioned.
              The example I gave is a direct comparison to the situation you mentioned. You were going to give MS office to someone that couldn't afford that. So either you were transferring your license rights or you were pirating. One is perfectly legal the other isn't and is theft.

I'm sure you could understand the real meaning of my example...
              If you rent a car does that give you the right to modify it?

Comment

It can give but the matter is if they want they won't. That's the important thing. Everything works for their own benefit, not for me. If there is a period where their politics are beneficial for me, this doesn't change the general fact. And again to support Apple more than GPL is quite astonishing.
                This is the same of every vendor. You think intel for example doesn't put out code that only benefits their product? They choose too. These are corporations we are talking about and their end goals are to create profit by supporting their product.

Comment

The example I gave is a direct comparison to the situation you mentioned. You were going to give MS office to someone that couldn't afford that. So either you were transferring your license rights or you were pirating. One is perfectly legal the other isn't and is theft.
                  That's exactly the matter. They decide what is legal and what is not in a way it is not beneficial for both me and my friend. If I have a house I can give it to my friend and to the other and to the other to do it whatever they want and simultaneously I can live in it if I want as well. With MS Office they say noooo you can't do whatever you want with it, is just for you or for just a single other. No in 2,3 or 100 computers simultaneously and while this sounds logical in some way, it is not because they don't allow me to help a lot of people. And that sucks.

If you rent a car does that give you the right to modify it?
                  No because it is not mine and I don't have the right to hurt the owner of this car with my actions. (The limits in freedom I mentioned before).

Comment

This is the same of every vendor. You think intel for example doesn't put out code that only benefits their product? They choose too. These are corporations we are talking about and their end goals are to create profit by supporting their product.
                    Exactly, and that makes GPL AT LEAST a bit better than them.

Comment

That's exactly the matter. They decide what is legal and what is not in a way it is not beneficial for both me and my friend. If I have a house I can give it to my friend and to the other and to the other to do it whatever they want and simultaneously I can live in it if I want as well. With MS Office they say noooo you can't do whatever you want with it, is just for you or for just a single other. No in 2,3 or 100 computers simultaneously and while this sounds logical in some way, it is not because they don't allow me to help a lot of people. And that sucks.
                      Hey, if your friend wants to use office on the device it's installed on it's perfectly legal. Using your analogy of a house you would have to build your friend a house and somewhere somehow that material has to be paid for some way. The license applies to what device it's installed on not on how many people can use it.

No because it is not mine and I don't have the right to hurt the owner of this car with my actions. (The limits in freedom I mentioned before).
                      When code is in the public domain you cannot hurt the owner either. It will shall forever remain in it's original form for all to access and do with what they see fit. Putting something up on public domain does not mean some other entity can remove it from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X